• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to add a temperature guage

Iceman3005

I used a "T" pipe and installed it in the back of the head on passenger side, along with the idiot light sensor. The back of the head is best because that is where it has the least amount of circulation so it gets hotter due to the water coolant passege design.

Attachments

welpro222

The crossover has about 3/16-1/4" of material to drill into, it worked great. Just make sure to seal it up good and not to tighten it too much. I haven't run my motor yet as I am still working on, will let you know how it works.

AECS

I was told that a t fitting was not the way to go, as the coolant fills it and stays stagnant, it will not read the true temperature of the coolant... It is better to have it in the flow of coolant.

welpro222

Thats what I was thinking too. I was considering this, but then thought it would be better in flowing coolant. The tee fitting would be away from the head and air flow around the tee would affect the temp reading.

Iceman3005

It gets a very accurate reading, the probe is about 2 inches long so the tip is about even with the head. I have a homemade gauge that I use to see if the temp gauge in the cab is accurate, my gauge was on the front of motor on drivers side and it read between 170-195, and the gauge in the truck read between 180-200. So I would say it was pretty accurate.

CUCVLOVER

What about taking the barb fitting out of the water crossover and put a pipe nipple in it then a T fitting with the probe sticking into the flow of water/ coolant and in the last side of the T you use a barb fitting ie: the one you removed from the crossover and reattach the heater hose.

rsh4364

Have not done yet,waiting for new radiator,so I can do all coolant stuff at one time.It looks simple enough though.2 bolts on each end of crossover,new Victor reinz gasket#C30677 x2,2 bolts on thermo housing and felpro gasket 35271.And some brass fittings to plug holes you are not gonna use.The reason I went with this crossover is it has the 3 extra ports,Im going to use one for temp.gauge,one for an electic fan thermo controller and one for a anode,fluidyne#32004 to fight corrosion.If you just want to add a temp gauge there are cheaper easier routes to take.Like just putting in spare port on waterpump.While I have coolant drained also gonna pop a freeze plug and install temro 1000watt. block heater. Wish me luck guys.I suppose with radiator out of way it would be a good time to replace crank dampner also.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks