• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to adjust the sprag

gunit

seen a few talk about proper adjustment of the sprag, havent seen anything about adjusting the sprag, any info would be appreciated, any info on some good priced sprags for 5 tons would be great also

Irv

I agree with the other posts. Nothing to adjust on the 5t. If I had another 5T I would seriously consider welding both sprags solid (it's obvious, once you open it up) and use air to ram it into forward going or rearward going, if I so desired, and just forget about an operational sprag. A sprag is a one way clutch, which is why you need two. One for forward and one for reverse. They don't do anything unless there is a net rotation between the front and rear driveline. That means tire slippage, so the sprag starts to apply power to the front in that event. By welding it solid, your front end is either in or out, depending on your decision, not some sprag's. Just add one valve in the line feeding the transmission. That valve has to dump the pressure off if it is shut off. Semi-standard valve configuration. Not hard. Irv

gunit

thanks for the idea Irv. if understood correctly i would have all wheel drive at the flick of a switch in forword or reverse. and nothing would bind. never seen the inside of a TC yet. anybody have or know of some pics of the 5 ton sprags.:grd:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......................all wheel drive at the flick of a switch in forword or reverse. and nothing would bind................................
........ GREAT - if you take good care to make use of it on slippery ground ONLY.......!?
Don't forget: after that mod., when engaged the rears WILL be pushing (or pulling, in R) the fronts because they turn 8% faster!!
BTW: not exactly the ideal ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE concept IMHO; very inappropriate for loose sand, for example! Probably the same for snow, ice, mud, etc.

I guess it's about time for someone to start making 5ton TC REB-kits, if they don't exist already...:roll:!

G.

reb87

after using my m818s during harvest in a lot of snow I can see a real need for a way to put it in 6x6 and not have to make the back tires spin to get there. Driving out of a field at 95000lbs and a 43 foot trailer I need the front end to be pulling to help turn and get away from the ditch on the opposite side of the road.

Attachments

Last edited:

shootiniron

I read here somewhere that John Winslow has or had some sort of mod (kit) that somehow enables the driver to have the choice between front end engagment or not,and feel good about rolling backwards in a forward gear and vis-versa.