• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to change axle seal on M1008?

jgb680

Does anyone know where to find instructions on how to change the rear axle seal on an M1008? I have looked through the TMs and can not find how to do just the axle seal...

flighht2k5

Banned
Does anyone know where to find instructions on how to change the rear axle seal on an M1008? I have looked through the TMs and can not find how to do just the axle seal...
Get a chiltons or Haynes. It's a typical 14 bolt.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What seal are you needing to change? The inner hub seal? Or the outer axle seal where the axle shaft bolts to the hub? Or is your pinion seal leaking?

jgb680

I assume it is the inner hub seal aka the oil seal, I have differential fluid coming out of the bottom of my brake drum. I'm going to try to change out my fluid first and change my vent line. I had this same problem about a year ago. i had the seal changed but it still leaked because the vent line was clogged. I'm hoping if I do this it will quit leaking.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to pull the hub off anyway. To clean the gear oil off of the brake shoes and drum. Hard brake use could start a fire. Also to see how much life is left on the brake shoes. Once you have the hub off you can pop the old seal out with a screwdriver and install a new one. Like K503 said you will want to get the wheel bearing nut wrench. About $20 here in texas.