• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to change the injection pump and governor

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post is over two years old. He last signed in in May. I wonder if he got it running?

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure. I was trying to be optimistic and/or if somebody else had some pictures. I suspect I have a timing advance problem with my deuce and I will eventually like to pull my timing advance case apart like this guy did. I want to see if there are any scrapes or broken pieces inside that housing. I talked to Gimp on the phone the other night and he said the timing advances are a pain to get back together. So it would be neat to know how somebody else made out.

Last edited:

grey_ghost_03

Any idea where to find a used or reman injector pump? I've looked around found them from 1,200 down to 600. Anyone on here have one for sale? The truck would start only on starter fluid. So I turned up the fuel.. That worked for a wile. But now won't run even with fluid. We cleaned everything. Took all the fuel lines off, injectors out and the injector pump itself. Even Changed the in tank pump. But nothing changed. Am I wrong thinking it's the high pressure pump? It does pump fuel to each injector. But not sure if the pressure.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Any idea where to find a used or reman injector pump? I've looked around found them from 1,200 down to 600. Anyone on here have one for sale? The truck would start only on starter fluid. So I turned up the fuel.. That worked for a wile. But now won't run even with fluid. We cleaned everything. Took all the fuel lines off, injectors out and the injector pump itself. Even Changed the in tank pump. But nothing changed. Am I wrong thinking it's the high pressure pump? It does pump fuel to each injector. But not sure if the pressure.
There is a lot more going on than you can imagine. The injectors need to be pop tested to see when they release the fuel. If you used a lot of starting fluid, you may have broken the rings on the pistons, time for a compression test. If it is just the IP, you may only need to replace the hydraulic head, not the whole IP.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can check the pressures at the bleed screw between the secondary and final. With just the in tank running you should have at least 4 lb. When the motor is running you should see 30 at idle and at least 60 at high idle. Most lower units are good to go, it the heads that have been failing. I have only heard of two lower units haveing trouble and the was the fulcrum arm breaking on one side. You might just need a new head as said. Check you pressures and go from there.

gimpyrobb

You guys are talking different pumps!

Ghost seems to be talking about the hydraulic head piston(as a pump)lots of psi.
James, you seem to be talking about the in-tank pump(5-7psi) and the booster pump in the IP(30-70psi).

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh. Thanks. Would seem even if the injectors are not popping right it might still run just not well but start. Thought he ment it would strart on starter fluid and now no, so I thought intank not pumping at all. Realy dont need a gage to tell if there is a problem with the intank pump just crack open the final fuel filter at the botton drain and if it spits out there pretty good then there should be enough pressure to supply head for start up.. I still think he is having head problems eather worn out or button problems. I see people talking about busting the center plug on the head or cracking the injectors looking for fuel and to me it makes more sence if you know the filters are OK and you have intank pump pressure at the final filter then there is a head problem or fuel control assembely problem. If it don't start at all then we can't check boost pump pressures at all that's for shure.

grey_ghost_03

Hello, here's the story. The truck wasn't started for about a year or more. We changed the in tank pump. And All the filters. There was gunk and what looked like mud in everything. At first she would start ok. It idled for about an hour. The next day no start. Hit it with starter fluid and she started but wouldn't low idle. Took it for a trip around the block a few times. But no change. As time went on it wouldn't run unless half or more on the throttle. So we turned up the fuel on the IP. The old truck ran and man did she blow the black smoke. Just wouldn't start without a shot of fluid. We took it for a 8 mile drive she was doing ok then started missing this got worse and she died as we pulled back into the garage. Now no start. And throttle must be held at 3/4 or more to run. We removed the IP head, all the lines and injectors. Cleaned and flushed everything. But this did not resolve any of the problems.

gimpyrobb

I would drain the fuel system(fuel tank too), change filters again, put fresh diesel in and see what happens. Sounds like plugged filters to me.