• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to clean/degrease engine?

RockyM1028

Our diesels are kinda forgiving especially since there not cluttered with all this modern electronic junk. Yet one schould still be carefull around electrical contacts. Here is what I do.
Spray some WD40 on and around electrical connections ( this will help repell water so there is minimal future corrosion) Also WD40 works well to losen mild layers off oil and grease. I let the motor idle while i blast of all heavy layers off oil and grease than i add some store bought engine degreaser and repeat rinsing the engine. after i.m done washing the engine I take a air gun to it and get all the little puddles of water out and let her dry. Now most will leave it at that but I go one step further, I take WD40 again and spray down all metal parts of block heavily than repeat with air hose... this leaves the engine looking shiny and corrosion free.. I know I know WD40 to shine engine, Don't knock it till you try it. Also the next time you clean your engine it will be much easier.. Look in your local auto parts store and you'll see the engine detailing sprays growing in number all they are are Petroleum based (OIL)...
Also I sell used car's and do this on everyone before showing it.... People are under the impression the motors are well taken care off LOL LOL.......

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
:???:

Apparently with a dry toothbrush?

Attachments

powerhouseduece

Spray some WD40 on and around electrical connections ( this will help repell water so there is minimal future corrosion) Also WD40 works well to losen mild layers off oil and grease. I take WD40 again and spray down all metal parts of block heavily than repeat with air hose... this leaves the engine looking shiny and corrosion free.. I know I know WD40 to shine engine, Don't knock it till you try it..

I would have to agree with the WD-40 thing, I used to have to do it all the time with jetskies and boat motors all the time!

As for spraying the motor with water, how are you going to drive it through deep water without getting the motor wet?

3dubs

There is a great trick to keeping it clean. First if it is already very dirty you need to clean it. But then everytime you change the oil you can spay it off. Get a spray bottle. They are cheap even at dollar stores. Then mix water and dish soap like palmolive. Not too much soap. But after changing the oil squirt the water soap mix all over the engine compartment obviously not where you want to keep water out. Let it sit for a few minutes then just wash it off with a water house. Then spay WD40 anyplace that might rust. WD40 stands for water displacement the 40 is that it was the 40th attempt. So removing water is what is was made for. It also cleans places you do not want to use water. But simply washing it with every oil change keeps it clean and makes working on the engine much easier.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Big thing to watch out for is spraying water on a hot injection pump, been known to seize because of the abrupt change in temp. I powerwash mine when the motor is cold using a pressure washer and engine degreaser.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks