• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to detemine year of deuce?

poof

Dirty Hippie
OK so many of us are using a word to describe a NUMBER.. and that word is not on the data plate I have on my deuce.. ill show a picture of my frame and data plates... and the picture of the frame is the only numbers on the frame.. now back to the words being used....
there is a STOCK #
SER.#
MFR#
CONT.#
and a YR.MFD. #
Thats all i see.
What I dont see are...the words " Registration #..VIN #..Identification # or ID #"
any place on a data plate. not mine any way.
this use of words , along with the fact some times things dont match up
makes things confusing.
so tell me what you get from my data plate. and frame stampings. On the face of it looks straight foward for the date it was manufactured.
CARNAC can grade your answers later.
:p

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Poof, your VIN# is listed on your dash tag as MFR no

poof

Dirty Hippie
Correct, the SF97 process is garbage in, garbage out.

As has been put on many times before on many different threads....

Registration numbers, while unique to a vehicle, can on very rare occasions be changed. Serial numbers cannot. There is no civilian equivalent to a military registration number except maybe a title number or a separate number on your registration card for your car.

VIN=Serial Number.

I don't know state laws. I do know military vehicle numbers and tracking.

thanks

CARNAC
OK doghead.. se what I mean

we cant agree our selfs.. so lets hash it out and sticky it in wiki

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I do see what you mean!

To add more confusion, There is more than one format(layout) for the data plates.

The wiki is something anyone can create and add to.

And just look at the variety of repo plates availible from just one retailer. http://www.mvdataplates.com/m35_series.php

Attachments

Last edited:

poof

Dirty Hippie
Yes, I do see what you mean!

To add more confusion, There is more than one format(layout) for the data plates. I have woundered about that. & that being said lets post some pictures of them. round them up and put them in one place. to be seen

The wiki is something anyone can create and add to.This is a scarry thought

And just look at the variety of repo plates availible from just one retailer. M35 Series

:grin:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
What does the registration number mean? How is it arrived at, and by whom? How is it decoded?

Where does it (or should it) appear on the truck?

Thanks!

-Chuck

The registration number is issued at acceptance by the govt.

Although some dataplates have the reg number stamped on them, others do not. Some were stamped and put on as part of the acceptance others are there because the dataplates are replacements.

If the dataplate is not stamped with the registration number, it is nothing more than painted on. I have never found one stamped anywhere other than the dash plate. It is normally painted on the inside of the door and on older trucks on the hood. There-in lies the issue. If I have a deuce that is up for controlled replacement (canabalization) and I have another deuce with something bad on the door (dent, broken glass, bad door handle, etc, etc) I can swap the door. Add to this, the fact that there is nothing more lazy than a soldier. So unless someone directs me to repaint the registration number that is on the door, it will be forgotten about. Hopefully you're starting to see the picture.

Again, I'm not into the legal stuff of the states and stuff. I will tell you the registration number has no direct coorelation to the civilian sector.

As for differentiating body types, the first 3 digits of the Serial Number do just that. Recovry 4x4 just did a thread on this.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David Doyle had a very good article in Military Vehicles about the deuce numbers. It used to be on the web but I can't find it (and I can't seem to lay my hands on the article at the moment).

Here is a quick run down.

We will use 0540-23541 as a serial number.

The first two numbers (05) are the lot numbers. They go from 01 to 08. The lot numbers tend to fall under a certian cntract number. I've got a 1972 truck and it has an 05 lot number.

The next two numbers are the type of truck. In this case the 40 means "M35A2C wo/w".

The last five numbers are the sequence number within a given lot.

Then you have the registration number. We will use the one in Carnac's avitar - NK05SW ( which happens to be the number of my truck). I don't have the dates nailed down but this numbering system was in effect from 1972 up to around the '80s. The year is not listed in this numbering system.
In the '60s up untill 1972 the last two numbers in the registration number was the year of the truck.
In the '80s the year of the truck was listed as the first two numbers of the registration number.

Confused yet? If I happen to find the article I can nail down some hard dates.

Last edited: