• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to fit 14.00r20's (and still have 6wd ;) )

Hey guys - long time coming but I got my 1400's mounted up on the deuce over the weekend... I made a set of extended control arms and plan on adding a bit to the spring perch later if needed - so far it looks like it won't be required...

I also had to cut 1.25" out of the step and support to slide the fuel tank forward; I moved the latch post forward on top of the support (still need to shorten the door) - all the rear mud flaps just got shortened struts and the front ones ended up with the bolts in the other hole on the stays.

I used a spare tcase to axle driveline and shortened it 17" for the interaxle shaft and then cut 2.25" out of the factory tcase to axle shaft... So the 1400 series joints between the axle are no longer there - it is all the same from the t-case back...

The fronts clear with no issues and the rears have about 2" everywhere to the nearest obstruction...

It was load tested within and hour of completion - during road testing in the snow here I found a full semi-truck wrecker stuck in a mild ditch - 1st gear low range and it felt like being tied to a post but together we got him out and moving...

Enjoy

Matt

Attachments

Drivelines and good timing

Some of the machining pictures from choping the drivelines...

Also it was good to get it done while the weather turned to crap since we had to deliver 3 Bergen BRM cylinder heads to the Northern Eagle... the 2wd cabover flat bed was not going to do it!

It's nice to get paid to drive my toy!

Matt

Attachments

sermis

What rims do you have?
Did you repower? I am runing 395's and lack top end power. With my pyro installed I am pushing 1,300 EGT on a steady run. Did not know I had a problem untill I installed the pyro.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for posting all those pics-I loved the snow and the machining pics.

yorkgulch2

What a great job! From your measurements I'm guessing you lenghtened the control arms 2.25 inches. Is that correct? I would like to do that so I have more room for chains on my 395/85r20's.
What kind of steel did you use on the control arm extension?
Also are those deuce combat rims or a3 rims?
Craig

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the stock springs overlap onto the axles all the way you can spread the rears a bit - (max 4") and the tips of the springs are still more than halfway on the axle button.

Matt
Careful here... why do you think they do overlap in their brackets?

Our trucks were designed as off-road trucks and the rear tandem suspension has to allow for plenty of articulation and travel to keep the tires on the ground.
(Not sure though, how much of that you can use anyways with 14.00R20s, if bed wasn't raised at least 3 inches?)

So I say that spreading just the axles under stock springs might be OK on road but.......

See pics: the first one shows the spring in almost normal position in its bracket with the axle leveled. The second one shows the rear axle, spring and bracket at extreme travel and articulation. That gives you a good idea of what would happen if the axle was moved back (from the spring seat center) another 2"

G.

Attachments

hot rod deuce

Hey Great work!

I think your the first guy to do the suspension since I did mine. Zenith spring In Duluth Mn. can get you the longer springs you need. Mine are like 64-66 inches. I bought 4 and took two little ones out of each side. They were around 300 for the set I think.

I would be carefull at full travel side to side (articulation) yours will probably pop out.

Keep up the good work.

joec

Yes, nice wheels: similar 2 pc bolt together system but NOT A3s !

G.

Ahh OK I see now. They are a bolt in center. Not a 2piece. Cool Rim thanks for pointing that out. Now that i look at the pictures I see what you mean.

My Bad never looked at all the pictures.....Cool to see a deuce with 14.00x20's on it. Now there are 2 of them.!!!!...:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks