• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get a 2.5 home?

godzilla

I'm thinking about getting a m35 or a 5 ton from gl. I'm in pa, whats the most cost effective and legal way to get one home from gl. Thanks

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
You left yourself open for alot of questions from us.
Does it run?
Does everything work?
Have you ever owned one?
How much money do you have just in case somting happens along the way?
Did you preview it?
etc etc.

-Jay

Search helps alot on SS.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
INSURANCE!!! Make sure you add it to your policy before you drive it 5 feet!

Even if you dont register it or get a temp tag, you better have insurance.....

2cents

In addition to this - make SURE you have it insured if you try to drive it!

Be ready for a major breakdown - have a good tow company lined up if needed.

Or just pay a professional to pick it up for you.

yeager1

You can buy a very nice driver close to home for less than a what a project/bargin unit you will end up costing you after getting it towed home. Find a good one, and as others have said, get insurance and drive it.

greenjeepster

Before you start asking questions about getting it home, read GLs "terms of use" before deciding to go that route so you don't have a few grand tied up in a truck that cannot come home anytime soon.:wink:

surfdog

It looks like you are < 100 miles from several GL sites. Buy one from GL and save some $$$.

Don't mind all the naysayers.

BUT definitely preview and inspect in person any truck you are thinking of buying. See if it turns over and starts, check the brakes & clutch, look for leaks, check the oil and antifreeze to make sure they look ok AND then have it trailered or towed home if you win it. And still plan on having some unexpected repairs to do.

Many people buy them and do drive them home but they usually have quite a bit of experience and can fix some of the more common problems on the road. It will likely cost you about 500 bucks to have it towed home and it will be well worth that to avoid any breakdowns and headaches, and it gives you the opportunity to thoroughly go through the truck in your own garage (better have a BIG one) before you actually register and drive it.

Heck, why not find a friend and buy two together and save on trucking as most transporters can fit two deuces on a lowboy.

Also join the local MV collectors club to start making connections and you can learn a lot about the trucks from the guys (and gals) who already have them. I', in the NY-PENN club but I suspect there is one closer to you.

Home

Anyone have a contact or know the club down in his area?

Good luck.

kc5mzd

A 5 Ton is very close to 26,000lbs. It is the magic number most states use to decide if you need a class B drivers license. Be sure you can legaly drive it before you buy it!!!
A 2.5 ton is no problem as long as you use the off road specs when you register it.

greenjeepster

A 5 Ton is very close to 26,000lbs. It is the magic number most states use to decide if you need a class B drivers license. Be sure you can legaly drive it before you buy it!!!
A 2.5 ton is no problem as long as you use the off road specs when you register it.
While keeping in mind that once you own a 26000 plus truck you can just take the driving test in it and get the B license:wink:

bassetdeuce

An M818 tractor W/OW weighs about 19500lbs. Later, get a nice van trailer then go for your Class A. :wink:

area52

How to get a truck home:

A) get some one to pick it up for you, i.e a shipper. Easier, less hassle ( mostly) and my preferred way when the condition of the truck is unknown. Only problem is some sites (talking about GL, maybe GSA) don't have a way to load the truck onto a trailer, ramps or whatever. Then you will need a shipper with a drop deck/RGN trailer or ramps and winch. My first GL purchase pickup was this way and the driver detached the tractor and pulled the deuce onto the drop deck trailer in like 5 minutes. costs more though.

B) Have someone help you tow it home - someone could go with you and help you tow it home with another truck. That lets you get some experience and talk to someone who has knowledge of these trucks.

C) go pick it up yourself - need alot of information on how the truck works and what to do when/if it breaks down. Good to have a chase truck along just in case. Need parts and tools depending on how lucky you feel. costs less if you are lucky and don't break down. Could cost more if the crap hits the fan. Need insurance and a temp tag if you want to be legal.

The closer it is to you the better unless you want to roll the dice.

Good luck.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always haul mine home. Less risk that way. IMO you can go over the truck real good but it's still a 40 year old truck that you know near nothing about.

6x6guy

Don't forget to bring a lot of parts, and somebody with mechanic ability or you'll need contact numbers of towing company's in the area depending on where you break down.
And if its to far to tow back, find a storage yard nearby- you can return at a later time with the right parts to fix your new truck. LOL :roll:

godzilla

I have a cdl, so that won't be a problem. I'm leaning towards having a lowboy bring them home. Theres about 4 gl sites in my area, any of them are about 75 to 100 miles away. I would prefer to get a running truck. Whats the going rate to get one home on a lowboy? Or possibly flat tow? I don't have any experience working on the 2.5's or the 5 ton's, but have been wrenchn on my fj40's, 54 powerwagon and my m715 for years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks