• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get it home?

Hello everyone I just got my first military vehicle from GL. It a 1967 m35a2 with 4k miles and 47 hrs and a winch! But I don't know how to get it home. It's 3 hrs drive to see it and 109 miles to the house it will be staying at. I got a quote for havin it towed they said around 550$. Looking for advice on towig methods or try to drive it home Mabey. It said it was towed into the auction so do I have to tow it out?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
HAVE YOU PRVIEWED this, do you have ANY idea of the condition, do you know WHY it was towed in, ect., ect., ect.????????

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if nots its 13,000 lbs of scrap medal. i am looking for help getting my scrap medal home. can i get a answer to that.[/QUOTE]
NEED to know CONDITION ect, ect, BEFORE that question can be ANSWERED

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever driven a 13000 lbs vehicle before? Ever been around a Deuce? Know how to start one? Too many unknowns.

Your choices on getting it home are:

Paying someone to haul it - best choice
Finding a fellow member to tow it - cost fuel and liquid refreshments
Seeing if it will run and drive it home - not a good choice if you have never been around one and if you don't have a backup plan. Just ask the guy who fried a clutch bringing one home on tuesday

We don't want to scare you off, but buying an unknown truck and then asking your questions is not the best way to start a relationship. Did you think about how to get it home before you bid on it?

Spend some time reading about recoveries, what supplies it takes to do the recovery and some of the pitfalls.

All of the questions you have asked and will ask have benn covered untold number of times.

Start with visiting JATONKA's website and downloading the Tech manuals for the Deuce.

www.jatonkasm35s.com

Last edited:

pmramsey

Like an old dog out chasing tires in the road, suddenly, one day you managed to actually catch one and roll it to the curb only now you're scratching your butt not knowing what to do with it. Congratulations! The truck you purchased from Cape Canaveral yesterday looks fine and you did not overpay. There are a few leaks but on the whole OK. However, I would not drive it. The front axle looks as if it could use some seal work. It is not the end of the world but definately a learning experience. Speaking of which. think of this whole matter as a leaning experience and you may come away a happier man. However, the price of experience usually starts at retail plus 10%.

Do not tow, drag, or push your truck home. Bite the bullit and hire a trucker with a a drop trailer. You are only talking 200 miles. You could spend $2.50 a mile but in the scheme of things, it's cheap. Not a bad price for the experience. Towing might be ok provided there are no bent drives and eyeballing will not always reveal the truth.

gunboy1656

I am going to guess this is you first truck, so you have a while to wait for the paperwork to clear. Make nice with the people on here and they may just help you (depending on who is close to you).

Since you found the deuce forums, READ EVERYTHING you can find on these trucks, Read the recoveries people have done and their troubles, get the TM's and by the time you read all those you will have a good understanding of what your getting into, what you need to do to get your new toy home.

Next question is what are your plans for it.

jimmcld

Sounds like they have given you a pretty rough time. They were all new at one time also.

My best advice is to have it hauled. If it's only 100 miles, it shouldn't cost as much as a wrecker call if something goes wrong while trying to drive it. Get it home where you can crawl all over it and understand how everything works before you get it out on the road.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like they have given you a pretty rough time. They were all new at one time also.
Yes and we also have learned alot of things along the way.
aua

Not giving him a rough time, but trying to pass along some hard learned leasons.:wink::wink::wink:

paulfarber

Tires definitely need air. Left front looks flat.

For 100 miles you are in a tight spot.... local guys will charge you for 200 miles (gotta get back home) and long haul may not want to deal with the load/unload for the price they would charge for the short haul.

I'm optimistic about these trucks.. unless I see a rod through the side of the block I'm willing to PM it and drive it. I live 70 miles from my truck and plan to drive it home.

Driving an M35 is not that hard. Sure manual steering is a eye opener for the power-everything generation, but if you know how to do it (yes, there are tricks) its no harder than driving a car with a trailer.

Biggest tip I can give you: If yo do drive it, DO NOT wrap your thumb around the wheel/spoke. Manual steering means you are connected directly to the road and a pothole/bump can swing the wheel and mangle your paws.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if nots its 13,000 lbs of scrap medal. i am looking for help getting my scrap medal home. can i get a answer to that.[/QUOTE]
NEED to know CONDITION ect, ect, BEFORE that question can be ANSWERED
Dont think this is being hard on some body, this question would be asked by anyone trying to answer the help question. The condition could be any where from crane with MAGNET load to the cummins mil. mod. with 0 hours, new tires, 100% fuel, ect

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks