• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How To: Hub Flip

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I just completed this task. Keep in mind that I went to the school for the mechanically declined.

I repacked all my bearing and changed all my seals while doing it. Took me 2+ very long days. The hub flip would be quick but all the other stuff and working by myself in the open....

I also came up with a seal installer all from Lowes.

3" pipe is slightly too small for the job. A 3" pipe coupler is just right.
Add 18" - 24" of 3" pipe.
Add a cleanout trap fitting (the screw out type)
Add the fitting that screws into it since it is stronger than using just an end cap.

What was taking me a lot of time, energy, bending, twisting, tapping here, tapping there was now all done in just a matter of a minute or two. Just want to make sure the seal is flush on the inside once it is installed. Worked like a charm except I didn't get to the point of utter frustration until my 3rd axle.

Also have a piece of 2x4 that is sawed at a 20 degree angle at the bottom. This will allow you to use the brake pad as a leverage point to tap off the old inner seals.

A good impact wrench (thanks Heavysteven) and a torque wrench (again thanks Heavysteven) and a good floor jack (thanks JT) and you're in business.

Also I got a brand name USA made Timken 3994 bearing at Autozone for 19.99.

Before doing this, you probably also need to have additional wheel studs and lug nuts. I had two bad wheel studs on disassembly and I only had one lefty to put in. Truck is deadlined until I get 2 right ones.

So bottom line is 3 hrs if you know how to do it AND have all the right tools in the right place with no interruptions and you are just flipping the hubs and not doing anything else (but since you are there, you should service the entire hub).

mikew

Carnac,

I'd like to see a pic of your seal tool.

Were your studs damaged before removal or did they get trashed as you took them out? What tool did you use to remove the studs?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
It's night so I'll try to get a pic later.

Studs were busted prior to removal, 2 each on the right front.

I pounded out the studs averaging 5 whacks per stud. You get bored after awhile and count such meaningless things. It took and average of 9 to put them back in.

My system was I had two stacked 9.00 x 20 wheels and as soon as I pulled a hub, I would put it down on this with the studs going into the holes in the rim. I would then undo the bolts in the inner part of the drum. Pull the drum off then flip the hub over onto a single 9.00 x 20 (so I didn't have to reach down two tires to pick up the studs). The hub would be placed so when pounded in, the studs would go through the holes in the wheel. Then slap the drum on the hub and put the bolts back in. Hope that all makes sense. It was just a method that worked for me.

If I had taken pictures of all this, the camera would have been toast due to the rain.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found that using the flange end of the axle shaft is good for popping off the old seals and since I had FIR shims from building a house they worked great for tapping on the new ones. Just start the new seal and move around the new one, tapping gently until the seal bottoms out.

discipler

mud flaps

Mikew, I'm bobbing an m35a2 and putting 1400x20 Goodyear tires on it. Do you know what size mud flap I need? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

DeucesWild11

Having some clearance issues after Flipping a hub. Mine were flipped already when I got my truck but then I added the 395's on stock rims and they are too close to the inside of the wheel well of the trailer bed. Is there a way to move the tires out just a little? I was curious if they were un-flipped and the put the rims on backwards if that would move them out a little? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................... I was curious if they were un-flipped and the put the rims on backwards if that would move them out a little? Any help is much appreciated.............
Depends if you consider 7+ inches a "little"...?
(see diagram below)

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks