• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to ID MVs

oldstuff

On saturday I stopped to look at a couple of Deuces. The data plates showed delivery dates of 1952 and 1953. Sorry but i forgot to look for model #.
I looked under the hood of one and it was a GMC. The owner said that it turned over but hadn't run in years. (sitting outside) Guess it would be gas, not multi fuel like later models, right? What model would they be? Can someone give me a general description of their machanical systems?
There was also an early model Jeep there too. It apperently had a different engine since the carb was sticking through the hood and a hood scoop to cover it. It was an older 4 cyl, OHV. The drivetrain looked to be stock.The Jeep had the fuel fill on the drivers side and the top of the the front fenders were flat all the way to the front. Any guess as to what that is. Is the data plate usually on the dash? The dash had a piece of steel welded over it and a 50s or 60s pickup guage cluster put in there. Overall it was in fairly good condition, bodywise.
They are owned by an older gent, but he is becoming incompacitated and his nephew is taking care of the place. There will be an auction in the spring for these and many other vehicles and tractors.
I would realy appreciate any help in these.
Thanks
Ray

SuperiorRam

The Gmc sounds like an M-135 or 211 the jeep I couldn't tell ya I had a 211 and it's not quite as good as a M35 (in my opinion) mechanicly although I love the looks the Gmc has a 302 gas strait six and an Allison trans the one I had, had a gallons per mile rather than a miles per gallon rating though

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... the Gmc has a 302 gas strait six and an Allison trans...
Technically, it a GM hydramatic. The same basic trans was used in some 1950's cars (Caddys and such). That's the part most guys are afraid of. They are a good truck if the trans is good and adjusted right. You need lots of line pressure to keep that trans from slipping and going bye-bye, so it has to upshift at high RPM and it should shift HARD.

oldstuff

Thanks for the help!
Sounds like I need to be studying the "early deuce " section.
I want to be somewhat educated so that when the auction comes up I can decide if I want to seriously bid on these.
Is there a place that goes into detail about the differences of each model of early deuce?
Ray

Stan Leschert

If it looks like the one in my photo, it's probably a M-135. GMC inline 6. 305 190 hp. 4 speed hydramatic, 2 range transfer case. Hope it's sweet. If the canvass is good you might have a nice toy. there aren't may of them left up here.

oldstuff

Stan
There are two of them. Yes they look like yours. Especially at the leading edge of the front fenders and roof. Is the 211 also similar?
There are no tops on them. One has a winch, one doesn't. the one without the winch is missing two rear wheels but is in a little better shape. The one with winch has a few spots of minor rust through.
This will be an esate sale in the spring.
If I do get one it will most likely get a mechanical fixup and just leave the body as is for a while. Right now I'm finishing up, putting an M37 body onto a 90 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 w/ 5.9 Cummins diesel.
I'll check this post for a while, but will be mostly at the early Deuce site.
Ray

rlwm211

The jeep sounds like someone put a later model "F" head engine to replace the original flat head 4 cylinder. The carburator sits higher on the F head and is why the hood has been cut to make room. Just a guess on my part. The data tag in the jeep would tell you more than I can by commenting on the information you provided. As was mentioned before, the M135 is a truck with single tires in the back and the M211 is the one with duals. Some pictures would be the easiest way for someone to help you identify these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks