• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to install Mikew's civi trailer plug

Cleptomaniac

Ok I'm no good at this but this is a great product so here goes :shock:

Wikew sent me a message and told me he would be making a kit to convert 24v to 12v! And it was going to be plug and play!! Thats rite up my alley :p

So i got the converter from Mike and it is built very well! The connectors are mill spec and the volt converter is water proof. The wires are marked with the metal military wire identification things.

While I was there I changed the lights out for led ones that i got from Warthog (thanks)

Cleptomaniac

The worst part was getting the old lights unplugged. The right side all that i had to do was unplug the old light and bolt the new one on. One wire ran from the left side to the right. the right side is where it all happened. The two holes at the top are bolt holes for the light housing. This goes on the back side of the light bracket and the ground wire goes on one of them. I had to find a bolt that was a little longer for this one. Then their are 2 other connectors that need plugged in.

Attachments

Cleptomaniac

Very easy install about 20min for the lights and converter and i just used wrenches (too lazy to get up and get a ratchet)
As far as cost pm member MIKEW on here he builds and sells them!
Now i just have to get my receiver hitch put on and she will be good to go!

mikew

No, this unit is lights only. It is part of the trucks lighting circuit (connected to the light switch) much like the stock 24v trailer socket is.

Trailer brakes require about 7 amps per axle at 12 volts (a little under 100w per axle) and some people will use a 24v to 12v converter to operate a civilian, 12v brake controller.

I think the proper (and safest) way is to use a 24v brake controller that puts 12v out to the brakes like this: GSL Electronics | Brake Controllers And Reversing Buzzers

Attached is their brochure.

Attachments

swampzr2

Pm sent. I have been waiting for this! Can someone send more pics of where the trailer plugs in to the converter box? Also my trailer uses the round 6 pin plug.... do you make one for that?

goldneagle

Pm sent. I have been waiting for this! Can someone send more pics of where the trailer plugs in to the converter box? Also my trailer uses the round 6 pin plug.... do you make one for that?
You can always get an adapter or rewire the connector. those color coded wires are standard.

Cleptomaniac

Yes that is what I did with mine. I got a 4way to 7 and the adapter I got is a 4/7 so you plug the 4way in the back and have a 4/7 on the other side! Think I got it at tractor supply. Wally world also carries some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks