• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to jumpstart an M936A2 with an M998 using "normal" jumper cables

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the hmmwv's military standard 2 battery system you connect positive to the positive post on the front battery and negative to the negative post on the rear battery (or frame).

On the military standard 4 battery setup on 939series trucks, connect the positive to the front left positive post and the negative to the right rear negative post (or vehicle frame).

IIRC, TM says the good vehicle is to not be running and power switch off. That's the way I typically do it, but I can't think of any reason not to have it running and add the alternator's output into the mix. (Input on this detail is welcome.)

Eye protection is a very good idea any time you're dealing with batteries, and hooking the ground to the good vehicle last, and disconnecting it first is also a best practice.

The shorter and thicker your cables are, the better off you are - the more amperage they can handle before they get hot, and the less voltage drop.

Pics -

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks