• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to quiet down the deuce cab...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK folks, I have now experienced first hand the noise in the deuce cab. Yeah, you can talk, kind of, but LORD ALMIGHTY it IS one noisey sucker.

Of course, the fact that you are riding inside a 'tin can' doesn't actually help any.

I have been waiting to purchase the deuce before embarking on a 'journey of quiet' as it were for both the deuce and my 91 GMC Suburban. Dynamat was my first consideration, but I don't have TONS of money to just throw away. SO I found a company that provides a superior product at a reasonable price (less that Dynamat). If you go on Ebay, you can purchase 100 sq ft for $130 (which INCLUDES s&h). I talked to a young lady at Fatmat whose name was Rene. She said she would be happy to sell me 200 sq ft for approx $220 (s&h included)!

So, I've been wanting to do the Suburban for quite some time and NOW I can. Plus I intend to make HUGE differences in the deuce cab. I have to go visit my upholsterer and see what kind of door and rear wall panels we can come up with. I'm thinking something in either green canvas or green tweed. The seats will probably be pulled out and recovered in some kind of either green tweed to match the door panels or perhaps OD green leather. We will see. I'll keep you guys informed.

I am ALSO going to purchase a Db meter so I can measure the before and after sounds. I also need it to 'tweek' my Home Theater.

DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL! We will continue after the following commercials:

http://www.fatmat.com/

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love that sound, wouldn't change a thing! For long trips the VIC-1 is onboard to save the hearing and to talk to the passenger(s).
If you insulate the firewall, you probably need a heater other than for the defrost function.
Lead sheeting is very efficient as a sound "blocker". It's used on aircraft to kill the sound from servos etc.

Desert Rat

Doc,

God has a sense of humor too!!!!! Be aware if a '32 Ford Coupe shows up at your doorstep!!!!! :).

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents.
I concur COMPLETELY with everything said here.

Having said that, my hearing is down the crapper already. Too many loud guns, loud music and loud motorcycles without hearing protection in my misspent youth.

And I WILL be keeping the 'blowing smoke and loud noise part'. I'll just be KEEPING IT OUTSIDE of the cab, where it belongs. I intend to take several long distance trips in this deuce in the coming years and that much noise at that loud of decibel is just 'wearing' on anyone.

Besides, I gotta dance to my own music. Some people hear a different drummer. I hear a completely different band. Probably something from the fifties. Something Frankie would sing in front of. Or Mel Torme. Or Tony Bennet. Or Ella Fitzgerald. I guess my 'old guy' taste for music makes it part of what I want INSIDE the deuce. Besides, I can't install XM radio and hear it right now. I GOTTA have my tunes. No reason NOT to.

I'll be placing that order shortly. Besides, I GOTTA do the Suburban anyway, as I want it 'Caddy quiet', which it is NOT right now. So, onwards and upwards...

da_sgt

Keep us posted on the noise reduction, I'd like to see the before and after readings. Seems like alot of noise will still get through the glass? Strange as it may seem, my 66 which was rebuild at Toole in 91 is louder than my 69. The 66 was rustproofed which is pretty thick, and you would think that would make a difference :roll:

P.S. Floyd and Zepplin Rock :) And let's not forget Herb Alpert :eek: I'm sure the youngsters will be doing a "google" on him :roll:

MsFSBruva

me and my mr have been researching what is the best way for cutting the noise down and allow for better conversations on our frequent road trips. I am very interested in learning how it all goes.

Don't forget to take pics... the girly side of me loves to see FORM while the gear-head side likes FUNCTION.

Wick246

I'm liking the idea of the intercom setup, but I would like to find some kind of earbuds like for an MP3 player that will keep the outside noise out and the inside noise in without wearing the whole headset. But more towards the original topic I think you should be able to cut the noise significantly with a little thinking.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass? Haha! If you want a quiet deuce, I've got just the one. This wrecker I have here is all but completely silent. Seriously, I use Peltor Powercom headsets on road trips and the like. They communicate on FRS channels and have significant noise reducing technology. They can also be used with other 2 way radios and cell phones by buying the correct interface cord. Music can be piped in like this too. They have 2 power settings and can go out to about 2 miles on high. Low saves the batterys a bunch. ALso have VOX with many settings that works good. Most folks have an FRS radio so your buddy following you in the family sedan can talk to you. They also work great for communicating with your ground guide. I can send Jonathan in the house wearing his and talk to him from the truck. I had the VIC-1 in the tractor and it has some very cool features besides the fact its military but the Peltors win hands down. Lee, can ya back me up on this?

DrFoster

That is what I was saying to you Jim when we were driving down there. I've got 2 Peltor noise attentuating headsets from my plane, and I can grab my dad's 4-way box from his old piper, and you can add music to it through an input jack.. 4-AA batteries and a 9 Volt for about 100 hours of fun.

It makes me nervous to see that you are going to put a lot into the interior and it is so easy to steal it out...

Desert Rat

Heck, I just go to Uniseal in Evansville, IN and pull up to their dock before noontime before Thursday and get a truckload of high quality automotive insulation for FREE!!!!! They dump more out in a day from mold start-ups and shut-downs than I can use in a month! BTW, when I visit I plan to cram more into the truck before heading South again. This stuff works incredibly well, holds up to extreme heat and wears good too. To heck with headsets and earplugs, I call people on my CELLULAR PHONE while driving wide open throttle and BOTH windows down and hear them without any problem (just ask Kenny).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used a CD player with the VIC system and have the CB connected permanently (listen only while driving). Next is a military (RT-524 ) radio, which will end up on its mount under the companion seat.
There are so many possibilities...

ida34

I have heard about using spray on bedliner inside the cab of trucks and jeeps to provide a long lasting surface that also drops noise level in the cab. I also use my aircraft intercom and headsets to have conversations in my truck.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DrFoster said:
It makes me nervous to see that you are going to put a lot into the interior and it is so easy to steal it out...
Dr Robert,
I DO understand. But hey, you can't hardly RIP out the fatmat lining. Maybe with a scraper? Now, the door and wall additions from my upholsterer is another story.

You didn't see where I've parked my truck. Behind my Suburban. I haven't fashioned a gate yet, that's later this week or next. We're trying to decide between wood or chain link. When Peggy decides which, I will go at it hammer and tong.

MsFSBruva,
You got it. To all, I WILL take several measurments with a Db meter so I can KNOW what my results were. Plus PLENTY of pix to document it. Even the people at FATMAT want to see the results. Hey, if they know they will be getting more customers here, maybe we can get a website discount?? We will see!!

eddiec

i've got the winterization kit for the inside of the fire wall. it is heavy, as well as thick. if you want the to scale drawing of it, just pm me your address, be glad to send it to you. supposed to quiet it down a bunch.

ktm380

Bjorn,
Awhile ago you listed the parts needed and I can't find it. I did do a search and still did not come up with it. Would it be possable to get that again? Which cable do I need for the VIC-1, prime power cable or the intereconnect cable to a MT-1029.

Thanks
Chris