• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to raise the metal top on a M105A2?

bayoufisher

Before I waste time trying to come up with the best/easiest solution, I thought I'd ask if anyone has already come up with a simple way to raise the metal top on a 105A2. I want to be able to quickly raise it after I trailer it, so I'm looking for a system that is fixed to the trailer. I'd appreciate any information from your past similar project.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What distance does it have to travel to be all the way up? I have a high volume low pressure hydraulic pump and some cylinders that could work.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first answer is that I don't have an answer to your question.

My second answer is that I have a tool made by ARB of Australia. It's an air bag about 28" in diameter and 2" thick deflated that will lift the weight of a car with very little pressure. It's designed for situations where your highlift jack cannot be used due to soft earth.

It wasn't too expensive and you might consider it for a solution that is outside the box.

Rick

bayoufisher

My first answer is that I don't have an answer to your question.

My second answer is that I have a tool made by ARB of Australia. It's an air bag about 28" in diameter and 2" thick deflated that will lift the weight of a car with very little pressure. It's designed for situations where your highlift jack cannot be used due to soft earth.

It wasn't too expensive and you might consider it for a solution that is outside the box.

Rick
I know the bag you're describing. That's a different thought. Thanks!

Crawdaddy

I believe there is a jack that's supposed to go with the box to lift it up. It's essentially a floor jack with a long pole that latches to a spot in the center of the roof that picks it up. There's a recent thread of another guy with a box like that.

amaverick88

Are the air lines still hooked up on the trailer? If so you can use air actuators to move it up and down once you are in position. That is if you are pulling it behind a deuce or another vehicle that supplies air. If not you have the options to use elecctric actuators as well.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe there is a jack that's supposed to go with the box to lift it up. It's essentially a floor jack with a long pole that latches to a spot in the center of the roof that picks it up. There's a recent thread of another guy with a box like that.
That's correct. The top of the jack has a channel that fits the ridge beam. Once it's jacked up and pinned in place the jack gets removed.
I sure would like to come up w/ an easier way to do it, . . . like hydraulics in all four corners ;)

I can take some photos and post up tomorrow . . . been meaning to do that anyway, I'm turning it into a camper.

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, this is what the jack looks like.
P8050008.jpg P8050009.jpg

And this is what mine has in the corners,
P8050012.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you can find the piston, I have hydraulic pumps like the one pictured, and dual stroke ones. Should be easy to complete.