• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to remove melted piston from turbo housing

jacklegjim

I bought a 3LJ 319 turbo that was on a enging that melted a piston.
I have it apart and it just needs a rebuild but, there is melted piston in the exhaust
housing. I have got the melted aluminum off where I can get to it but, I can't get to all of it.
Any ideas on how to get it out? I was thinking soaking it in acid but,I am not sure if that
Would do it or not.
Jim

machinist75

Muriatic acid melts aluminum. We use it at work when someone sinks a steel collet down in aluminum, eats it right off and dosnt harm the steel. Maybe you can soak it in that.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use caustic soda to remove only the aluminum without harming the iron. Sodium hydroxide is what you need. The granular Drano is sodium hydroxide crystals and is readily available at most hardware stores. It is really good at degreasing stuff too, just not off of aluminum parts. Another source of caustic is the old school Easy Off oven cleaner. Not the newer "no smell" "safe for aluminum" stuff but the original stuff that has all kinds of warnings about using gloves and not getting any on your skin. That goes for the Drano too, don't get it on your skin, in your eyes, etc.