• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to remove the instrument cluster?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the title says, how do I remove the instrument cluster? It's in there pretty tight? I can wiggle it around, but I don't see a way to pull it out!

IMG_20170614_195748.jpg

Last edited:

Zadvark

No magic advise but mine was wedged in pretty hard between the upper and lower edges of the sheet metal portion of the dash. Wiggling it out went a lot better than pushing it back in. Next time around I may take a hair off the opening in the dashboard.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel kinda stupid now, but it turned out to be pretty easy.

Slide it left a bit, then angle the top forward, remove the plug and pull it out.

It might indeed be easier by taking a hair (or two) off the opening.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Very carefully. They are as brittle as fresh crisp potato chips. Careful with the shift cable slide area and the left out ear. I have a fix if any of these are broken. Never break again. Good Luck. Now that you have it out. I hope it goes back in as easy.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are right about the brittleness. Although I did not break anything, someone before me sure did, still use-able tho.

I thought about cleaning up the circuit a bit, but new ones aren't THAT expensive. In an old thread (2012) I saw someone mention LMC part 83-8036 (without gauges, 81 to 87). The example image seems match with what I have in front of me, but someone said "no, it has to be military", thread died after that. Does anyone know if it will fit, or if this guy's right?

For now, I'm going to clean the parts, man are they dirty. Gonna give the whitish plastic a rattle can make-over with high gloss white and repaint the steel black cover as well. Someone had cut the bezel apart for a radio, I won't use one (will use a bluetooth receiver hidden somewhere, connected to an amplifier) so I'll fill the gap up and give the whole thing a matte black finish. Gauges show some rust and peeling paint, will keep them for now, but definitely want them replaced sometime.

Oh and another thing, I've been thinking about making new covers for the idiot lights as the symbols/circles on mine are worn. Anyone interested in having some as well?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks