• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to repaint carc

SMOKEWAGON66

shake and spray! rattle cans should do it....sand any rust and primer it, but other then that, unless you want a high gloss shine, camo paint in rattle cans are bout the cheapest/easiest route i know of... my 2cents fat lady sings

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been covered soooooo many times. Lookup Sarges m820 paint job. Pictures, details, dogs, everything you will need.

12Bravo

shake and spray! rattle cans should do it....sand any rust and primer it, but other then that, unless you want a high gloss shine, camo paint in rattle cans are bout the cheapest/easiest route i know of... my 2cents fat lady sings
When I was in the Army, anytime we had to do bodywork on vehicles, we would just use spray paint or would brush on CARC paint (depending on location). We weren't allowed to use CARC in California without a proper (expensive) paint booth so we just spray painted where we made repairs and it lasted in the desert getting sand blasted.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first thing is to really pressure wash the surface with preferable very hot water and a strong soap solution and rinse completely, then sand the loose and flaking stuff off with some 180 grit paper. the remaining finnish "if" its stable can just be resprayed directly with more CARC. The low gloss of the carc really hides most of the surface imperfections. good luck and post 2centssome pics when your done!

Flyingvan911

I drove my deuce to the car wash and sprayed it down with soap the rinsed it off. Let it dry for a day. I used a needle scaler to remove loose or peeling paint. Sanded down what rust I could, there wasn't much. Prime the rusted areas with Por 15 then Rustoleum. The sprayed Rapco 383 green with 20% Xylene thinner. I still need to finish the frame and axles. I'll let it finish drying this week then start on the black and brown with a brush.

In some spots I had to spray several coats to get the paint to cover. It was like the CARC soaked it up. If that happens, let one coat dry for 10-15 minutes then coat it again.

Attachments

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

When I was in the Army, anytime we had to do bodywork on vehicles, we would just use spray paint or would brush on CARC paint (depending on location). We weren't allowed to use CARC in California without a proper (expensive) paint booth so we just spray painted where we made repairs and it lasted in the desert getting sand blasted.
yah that sounds about right....did the same on my M928 that was assigned to me in AK....the few trucks we sent to the IMF (installation maint. facility) to get painted came back with some of the worst paint jobs i ever saw...i mean they were civilian contractors but come on! they didnt tape windows or tires, just tried not to paint them....they didnt even wash the trucks first and had painted over clumps of mud and dirt in the nooks and crannies like on fenders/bumpers etc...we chipped the dirt off and you could see the old faded CARC...i had been disgusted with Ft Wainwrights IMF ever since....well this incident and a few others but thats another story lol.

x-ray

One thing about brushed on carc, and only if you want a Smooth finish - is its a real pain in the but to get out the old brush marks. It has silica (sand) in it and is of near equal hardness to the sand paper abrasives. So it takes a long time with very coarse paper sanding with power tools and lots of wet sanding to get out brush marks. Best way to tolerate this is to use FLAT paint, it hides a bit of this.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M35A2 (in avatar from Oscoda show)
Powerwashed
scraped any flaking areas
sanded edges of flaked areas
lightly scuffed remainder with scotchbrite
sprayed Gillespie 383 green enamel through an HVLP gun using minimal xylene

houdel

CARC is designed to absorb agents that land on it. It acts like a sponge and will suck up your touch up paint, meaning it takes a lot of touch up paint to cover old CARC. I had my best results by sanding down the CARC to a smooth surface and then repainting. I used Rustoleum spray camo paint from Wal*Mart, the woodland camo line matches the CARC woodland camo pretty well.

bullfrog1234

I pressure washed mine to remove dirt, flakes, and an overall cleaning. Then a little spot scraping, but not much. Afterwards it was a good coating of primer. I applied three coats on different days to allow it to dry between coats and smooth out the flake spots. The top coat was the summer 4 color pattern (Not CARC). Now, my sons truck was really bad and still working on it. The CARC on it must be the first batch because it is thick, sandy, and comes off in large flakes. Some areas i had used a heat gun and scrap it off. On the frame the needle scaler worked great. The first coat of primer is on it now and the second will be the end of september. It is a lot of work, but rewarding when comparing the before and after pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks