• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to repair canvas tear?

todds112

After fighting with the wrong cargo cover last week for hours. I decided to put the one that fits on the truck today. It looks like a new old stock cover. The metal buckles were rusted and corroded almost like battery acid ate them. I cleaned them up and painted them. Got the top all lined up and installed. I was cinching it down when I noticed the tailgate latches had torn it on both sides!:mad:

This is the old canvas type cover. I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to repair, or if it's just going to disintegrate anyway.

I searched and found mention of a canvas repair kit. I looked all over the web and most seem to be more for repairing the vinyl or nylon type stuff.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On a rip like that you can use an awl to sew it back together, or if you have canvas of the same type cut a patch 2X the size of the rip,tear or hole then use Weldwood contact cement. Coat the patch and the area to be repaired, do it on a piece of plywood use a roller to get a good bond and wait as long as the can states before you use it.

http://www.nrsworld.com/weaver-leat...tic-awl-9803?gclid=CK2itbefjL8CFQxp7AodZFEAPA

Woodsplinter

I too, have a canvas cover. If you can tear the torn area any more by hand, it's done for. One the other hand, the repair mentioned by Mules sounds pretty simple. It might be worth it to try to get your cover to last as long as possible.

61sleepercab

If you are sewing do not make too fine a stitch too close to the repair. I had a truck seat recovered and the upholstery man used too many stitches per inch and the fabric was "cut" by the needles holes and it tore and did not last long. Good luck Mark

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
OOPS, my bad, usually if you round off the corners of a glued patch they seem to stay longer. With a tear on the edge like yours I would wrap the patch around both sides, which it looks like you have done.

If it's dirty try to clean it as best as you can with a brush and if a rip, tear, hole is over 12" patch both sides.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have a few cans of tent adhesive. It's some pretty potent black stuff and works darned well. When it's gone I'm going to weldwood. Everyone with a deuce or a tent needs a speedy stitcher.