• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to replace wiring boots?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone replaced the wiring boots, such as those on the headlight connectors? I see that McMaster sells the boots separately, and a bunch of mine are starting to split from age. Can you just slide the old boot off and put a new one on?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to make sure I'm understanding...

This is the "male connector", consisting of a female boot with the male pin it. You're saying you need a 4-prong crimper or solder for these (if I need to replace the pin itself only), and that you can slide the boots off of these easily?
1603557568992.png

The "female connector" (male boot, female pin) you have to cut off and replace?

EDIT: Ugh... I found a different, contradictory source that says to refer to the gender of the connector by the shell, not the pin. So which is it?
1603557981739.png

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually with electrical connectors they call it based on the pins, unless it has both kinds of pins in which case they call it by the housing.

Anyways, so going off this picture, you're saying I can replace the female boots easily, by just removing the c-clip and sliding them off?
1603558726021.png

My headlight connectors on the truck-side wiring harness (as opposed to the headlight-side) are the ones I found splitting, so those are "female" (according to this picture). And I found that picture at multiple sources, so I'm guessing it's the proper naming convention for these.

Reworked LMTV

I went over those connections with mastic tape. That stuff is awesome. No need to redo all of those connections, unless you are a perfectionist.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a part number or source for just the metal connectors from each side? I have a ton of the rubber connectors , but have run out of the connectors. I hate having to buy a whole connector when I really just need the connector portion itself and not the shell.

spankybear

And here is how I did it

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter

And here is how I did it

Thanks, that's exactly how some of the connectors on my truck look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks