• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to store a used Deuce engine ?

63C20

My brother and I currently have a couple of late Air force trucks that are running well and, of course are well lubricated inside and out. Earlier this month we found a SS member in Ft. Pierce, FL that had a Deuce that lacked a few parts (axles, wheels.... minor stuff) It did have a recently overhauled Continental with a C turbo that started right up with great oil pressure and good charging current.... and NO leaks ! We got it at a very reasonable price and picked it up today. We don't need it immediately and would like to store it so that it is in good shape when it is required. We are looking for some convenient shop space to do the whole seals and brake cylinder thing. Right now it is in the back of the trailer. At this point, it was just cut out of the truck and we plan on sealing the various openings, not 100% sure what to do about the cooling system to limit corrosion. Do you folks have any suggestions or tricks ? Thanks in advance !
Used LDT.jpgLDT left side.jpgDonor truck.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Truth be told, put it in a stand, loosen the rocker arms so the springs are not compressed, pull the injectors out(replace with plastic plugs) and squirt some oil or atf in there. Once in a while, apply power to the starter so it pumps oil through the motor.

OH! First off do an oil change. Oil that has been run through the motor has contaminates in it and can be very corrosive to bearings while in hibernation.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is Green Gem(somewhere in Florida) still doing military surplus? Matt was always good to deal with and talk to.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still think I would try and prime up the oil system,get it fired up and then shut down all open valves. I have often wondered about the can motors and how long they have sat without a vaccum in the can and same valve spring compressed for years. If getting it running is out then yes I would pull all the injectors,spray fogging oil in there while someone else turns the motor over by hand a couple of times then shut down all open valves.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless the can is sealed, they rain humidity inside. Most have sacks of desiccant in them. Desiccant can be dried in an oven and reused over and over. Best to seal the can and get it the 5 PSI of whaever they pressurize them with (nitrogen)???

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently watched a sassy little video where a dude used Silica Crystals Cat Litter as a desiccant. Here's a similar link to drive ya nuts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQFq6Z1ACZ0

He used 2 socks, filled the first one with kitty litter, tied it off and bagged it in the second. Places them in his car to keep windows from fogging up.

Placed in an engine box, maybe they could help keep things dry.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you could get the engine running, I would get it running and use a mix of WMO and diesel for fuel. Its hard for injectors to stick or an HH to stick if the system is well lubricated.

iatractor

Yes, use nitrogen to pressurize. One of my customers buys 20 cft nitrogen tanks to pressurize their steam turbines in a sealed container not unlike these engine cans. Think they run about 5 psi on them.

JasonS

I have a few spare engines on stands with radiators. I just run them a few times a year. Makes me happy to hear them run and the process keeps everything lubricated. I drain out the coolant; not sure if that is best or if I should keep coolant in them?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
are you going to store it for 20 years? if not just put it somewhere dry and seal up the major openings. if you get a can for free, maybe worth it, but otherwise i don't think so. and starting one up every 6 mths, i hope you are prelubing it or you probably are doing more harm than good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks