• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to take out a PINTLE from a trailer?

ichudov

jtpasto

Pintle Removal

My pintle freed up after a couple hits with a large hammer on the threaded end. I can't tell in your picture if you have room to hit it with a hammer. Just be careful not to mess up the threads.

ichudov

My pintle freed up after a couple hits with a large hammer on the threaded end. I can't tell in your picture if you have room to hit it with a hammer. Just be careful not to mess up the threads.
I do not have the room to swing a hammer, unfortunately.

I will try the same thing as I did, again (nut pushing on steel blocks), but this time with Shell Alvania EP grease on the thread and where the nut touches the steel plate. Additionally, I sprayed some penetrating oil where I could, but doubtfully it will get very far.

i

bubba_got_you

I do not have the room to swing a hammer, unfortunately.

I will try the same thing as I did, again (nut pushing on steel blocks), but this time with Shell Alvania EP grease on the thread and where the nut touches the steel plate. Additionally, I sprayed some penetrating oil where I could, but doubtfully it will get very far.

i
i just smack both sides of the ring with a BFH [thumbzup]

ichudov

Well, I tried mightily hard to whack the lunette ring with a 8 lb sledgehammer, around the ring area, so that the blows would help the adaptor come out.

No luck :-(
aua

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Penatrating oil for a while, then beat on it with a sledge hammer, hitting on each side. It will go. DONT mess up those threads.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This sounds strange (even for me) but it worked for me.

Heat the shaft up and apply a candle to the hot shaft which will cause the parrifin to get sucked up into the hole and between the shaft. Let it sit awhile and try the BFH again or use some sort of hydrolic ram to push between the lunette and something solid.

ryan77

the candle wax trick like wreckerman says works great!!! i use it a lot at work when i cant cut a pipe or bolt out and have to unscrew it!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the taper is, well, a taper, you can even hit directly down on the lunette ring. You don't need to hammer it out, just wiggle it loose. If you are a good swing, you can hammer down directly on the housing that the lunette shaft goes through but don't miss. I can't view pics hosted off this site so I have no idea what trailer you have.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like you could tighten the nut alittle and use a spreading wedge on a porto-power to put some pressure on it and hit the lunette ring with a BFH

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keeping pressure on the back with the nut is a good idea. If you back it out too far it will bend that crossmember like putty. Hammer down on the top of the lunette and that housing as you can.

ichudov

Well, with a lot of pressure from the back (the nut), and mighty blows with a 30 lb sledgehammer, Shell Alvania EP grease in all points of contact, and penetrating oil, still no go.

I will try once more.

aua

i

ichudov

After more of the above, and some bad language, the adaptor DID COME OUT!!!

Hoorah!

Now that it is out: should I, perhaps, grease the tapered surface before reinserting it upside down?

On the one hand, the grease will prevent further rust. On the other, perhaps it will prevent the surfaces from mating securely?

Last edited:

jimh1985

Great idea, I was thinking of just removing the pintle and replacing it with a 2 inch ball receiver. I all for the cheaper way of doing things and this seems like it!