• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to tell if you have locking differential

littlebob

How do you know if your Deuce, M35 has locking differentials? When moving tires to match circumference, I noticed I could spin each front with all the others on the ground and not the rear. The transfer case and transmission in neutral for both.

stumps

Most deuces have open differentials. Yours clearly does. As I understand it, there were some specials made for use in snow bound countries, like Norway, but otherwise it wasn't necessary.

Remember, the deuce was made to run in packs with all sorts of winched, and recovery vehicles. The roads it ran on were possibly unimproved, but they were roads. If you got stuck someone would pull you out.

-Chuck

KsM715

Did you do the rears one axle at a time or did you raise both sets off the ground on the same side? If you did one axle you wont be able to spin them because the two are connected by the drive shaft inbtween them. Normally in a 4x4 if you lift the rear with the trans in neutral and one tire on the ground you can spin it because the axle will spin the pinion and the pinion spins the driveshaft. With tandems and 3 of the 4 sets of tires on the ground will keep the pinion from spinning.

littlebob

Did you do the rears one axle at a time or did you raise both sets off the ground on the same side? If you did one axle you wont be able to spin them because the two are connected by the drive shaft inbtween them. Normally in a 4x4 if you lift the rear with the trans in neutral and one tire on the ground you can spin it because the axle will spin the pinion and the pinion spins the driveshaft. With tandems and 3 of the 4 sets of tires on the ground will keep the pinion from spinning.
Thanks, I think you answered my question. With the middle axle lifted on one side it would not turn. I thought it would turn the drive shaft to the transfer case and didn't think about the rear axle holdind it from moving. With both rears up on one side, one turns the other.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks