• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to tow 2 105 back 3hrs to the house?

Rammerjammer

Ok so i am picking up 2 105's from an auction in north alabama and bringing them back home 3hrs away. I only have a 16 ft trailer to bring them back with my dodge 2500 4wd hemi. I was thing about putting on trailer on it backwards on the front and attempting to put the other one on there facing the front. If i cant i thought about pullling it up to the back of the trailer and attaching it with chains and straps to the rear, basically rear butt of 16ft trailer to front of 105 box. Let me know what yall would do with said setup. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have hauled 2 M105 trailers on an 18' deck trailer. I bet you can fit them on the trailer.

Front trailer facing rear(wheels to the front of the deck) with the pintle ring down on the deck, rear trailer facing forward with the tounge on top of the front trailer(landing leg in the bed).

joeM62

I had seen another man that had the same set up think it was either Saturday or last Friday coming through Cedartown would you be the same guy? It was a dodge pulling a trailor with two M105's.

midcounty

I have been thinking this same thing. I have a 16' trailer and wondering how many 105s I can get on it. I was thinking I would put the first one on, roll it up til the wheels were near the front of the deck, put the tailgate down and stand the front up as high as possible, then repeat and put the tongue of next trailer in the bed of the front one. I'm not certain yet, but I think I can get 3 on my trailer.

Nonotagain

I have been thinking this same thing. I have a 16' trailer and wondering how many 105s I can get on it. I was thinking I would put the first one on, roll it up til the wheels were near the front of the deck, put the tailgate down and stand the front up as high as possible, then repeat and put the tongue of next trailer in the bed of the front one. I'm not certain yet, but I think I can get 3 on my trailer.
You can't get three M105 trailers on a 16' trailer unless you stack them, then the tongue weight will be heavy or there won't be any depending on where the stacked trailers are placed.

The M105 box is 9' feet long and weighs 2750 lbs +/_ a little.

L999here

...done it before...

Had to do this in KY to IN trip...350 mi. trip. Put the best trailer w/best tires on the ground. Have someone w/forklift turn other trailer over..flip it up-side-down and put on top of first trailer. Used wood stakes where bows go and mated them together on all four corners. Then lashed/chained it down tight. This arrangement was sturdy,safe and got a few necks turned. Pulled behind my Ford F350 diesel dully....didn't even know they were there....LOL. That's a lot of steel to put two-up on a small trailer...and have lots of 3/8th. chain and binders. Good uck....stay safe....!!!

KsM715

You should be able to get 2 on just fine. This is a 101 and a 105 on an 18' trailer

Edit: now that I think about it (and look at the pic) I believe thats a 16' trailer.

Attachments

midcounty

You can't get three M105 trailers on a 16' trailer unless you stack them, then the tongue weight will be heavy or there won't be any depending on where the stacked trailers are placed.

The M105 box is 9' feet long and weighs 2750 lbs +/_ a little.
Looking at the picture of the 105 and 101 on the trailer, I am thinking 2 will be my limit. I can cram them a lil tighter, but don't think it will be enough to get a third one on.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the picture of the 105 and 101 on the trailer, I am thinking 2 will be my limit. I can cram them a lil tighter, but don't think it will be enough to get a third one on.
Nope, I don't think you'd ever be able to fit three without stacking. The trailers don't look that big just sitting there but when you start loading them they take up room fast. You may could put one on top of the other and get three.

I've been bidding on some lots of two but haven't won any. I was planning (if I won) to just pull one with the other loaded on top.

Rammerjammer

Nope, I don't think you'd ever be able to fit three without stacking. The trailers don't look that big just sitting there but when you start loading them they take up room fast. You may could put one on top of the other and get three.

I've been bidding on some lots of two but haven't won any. I was planning (if I won) to just pull one with the other loaded on top.

How would you tow that with a normal truck? Pintle hitch or what?

midcounty

I had thought of that to. But with my luck I would have an issue with something stupid like a wheel bearing go out half way home :|

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would you tow that with a normal truck? Pintle hitch or what?
Yes, a pickup truck with a pintle hitch. You just need to rig you up some temporary 12v lights. I've seen many people tow one with a 1/2 ton. I'd say you'd need a 3/4 ton at the least to tow two stacked.

gerrykan

I bought a couple M101's with bows and tarps.
I took two battery powered drills, and a pintle hitch. Drilled four holes, and bolted on the pintle for a tandem pull.
I used a makeshift extension cord to power the rear trailer's lights.
I did use an M35 for the prime mover. You couldn't even tell they were back there.

asgtoolman

Out of curiosity, what did you bolt the pintle to that you could drill four holes in with a battery drill that was solid enough to pull another trailer?

gerrykan

I bolted a piece of angle iron through the pintle's bottom two holes before I left. I also pre-drilled two holes in the other face of the angle not mated to the pintle.

At the storage yard, I clamped the angle iron pintle assembly to the rear crossmember of the M101.
Using the pintle's upper two holes as a drill guide, I drilled and bolted these horizontally through the rear channel.
I brought a selection of big flat washers, and used the largest I could fit in there to help distribute the load.

Next, I used the predrilled holes in the angle to drill vertically through the rear channel. I then inserted bolts and tightened them.

Luckily, the trailer safety chains reached the tie-down rings(I couldn't find a pintle backing plate with the safety chain holes when I needed it of course).
The rear trailer was empty, and did not have trailer brakes, so it didn't put much of a strain on the hitch.

I took two Milwaukee 1/2" drills with fully charged batteries, four new drill bits, and a 120-volt generator and 120-volt Milwaukee 1/2" drill as a backup.

gerrykan

asgtoolman,
As far as to being 'prepared', I was a Boy Scout.[thumbzup]
I took a few pictures of the setup this weekend . My friend was coming to pickup his trailer, and I hadn't yet disconnected them.

The last three are just for amusement. If the Aussies can have their roadtrains, why can't Hillbillys?:mrgreen:

Attachments