• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to turn up fuel...in pictures?

nhdiesel

Drill hole to proper size, run pipe tap down to proper depth, install pyro.

Most pyro sensors are 1/8-27 NPT. Tap drill size is .332", or letter "Q" bit.

Depth of thread: Official technique to get proper depth is to run the tap in 12 turns. I just go by eye though, and tap until the threads are cut enough to have a full, clean thread, then adjust for the job. For something like a pyro, you may not always have room to go full depth, so you can adjust as needed.

Jim

Mudstone

not to be a jerk and berate anyone or even make myself come across as stupid... but if your tapping for the first time make sure you back out often enough to clear the chips out of there... not that i ever broke off a tap... ever... not one in my whole life... ok... if you ever get assigned to a 1-1CAV Bradley with taps broken off in it you can thank me. :)

nhdiesel

Well I had a chance to wrench on the truck some today. I turned the fuel screw 1 turn, test drove and was careful to watch smoke. No change from where it was. Turned it 1 more full turn, very small change. I'm able to come up my hill in 4th gear now, and it only slows down a few MPH on the steepest parts. But on the flats it still has a hard time reaching 2500 rpms.

With 1 full turn, in 3rd or 4th gear it would get to 2100 and very slowly inch its way up to 2500. In 5th gear it wouldn't get to 2500.

At 2 turns, it was a slight bit faster from 21 to 2500 in 3rd or 4th. In 5th, it would reach 2500, but it took about a mile of holding the throttle floored to get from 2100 to 2500.

Next step tomorrow will be to install my boost gauge to see if the turbo is even doing enough. Its not a whistler, I just hear the faintest of a whistle when its working hard. I know its doing something, just not sure if its enough.

OH...and after the first full turn of the screw, it starts right up now without having to hold the throttle down some. So there is progress.

Jim

Billy Bobbed

I just turned mine up today,what a big differance it made.I turned mine about 2 full turns.I took it out for a drive WO on flat ground.It got to around 1150 at about 2300 RPM.A light trail of black smoke.I was getting worried about the shaft turning,but everything turned out.Going to keep an eye on the pyrometer.:beer:

bgekky3

I turned up the fuel on one of my trucks a lot, something like 3 or 4 turns. I had a pyro installed. It still would not go over 2200 RPMs. After looking into adjusting the governor, we found the return spring was too strong and prevented full throttle. After changing the spring, we turned the fuel back down.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or, if you tow a load or drive up a long grade. You'd be suprised how much higher your EGTs will get.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just learned about this techique from an old warhorse mech near FT Lewis,Wa yesterday.He stated the same things as Westech;dont' allow that droopscrew to rotate and or drop!Also,he and made task specific wrench for that job by grinding down a wrench to fit.Thanks for this post guys.Good info.
That is not the droop screw. Droop screw or smoke cam is a nother lesson.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will you know if the rod falls off inside if the screw is turned? How can one tell?
If your lucky when it breaks off in your hand the peice that is left falls into the pump and you take off the fdc and get it out of there.

For more or less that rod is attatched to a wedge plate. Don't worry is not glass just use the right wrench on the inside nut ( very thin) and all is good.

Last edited:

nhdiesel

Well I think I found my problem. I hooked up my boost gauge today and took it for a spin, and going uphill I can only get about 6 lbs. of boost, max. From what I saw in another thread, I should be seeing 8.84 to 9.82 psi boost at 1600 rpms. Well at 1600 I'm closer to 4 lbs. or less.

Now...am I looking at just adjusting the droop screw, or is it a governor issue? I'm thinking droop, because I'm obviously getting fuel now, as i can see smoke while on hills.

I think the next step is to adjust the droop screw, and I think I'll back off the fuel until I get that corrected. but I'm going to wait until I get a response from someone in case I'm headed the wrong direction here.

BTW, its a quality gauge I used, Isspro, so it shouldn't be gauge error.

Jim

Billy Bobbed

I drove my truck to work today after turning my IP up yesterday,OMG huge differance.This made it a new truck.I can now keep up with the traffic now no problem.Theres a hill I climb on the way home that I couldnt get in 5th gear to climb,now it flys up the hill in 5th.It stays around 1150 on the pyro.up the hill, around 900 on flat ground at 55.My next guage is to put a turbo boost guage.:beer:

tiger422

Well I think I found my problem. I hooked up my boost gauge today and took it for a spin, and going uphill I can only get about 6 lbs. of boost, max. From what I saw in another thread, I should be seeing 8.84 to 9.82 psi boost at 1600 rpms. Well at 1600 I'm closer to 4 lbs. or less.

Now...am I looking at just adjusting the droop screw, or is it a governor issue? I'm thinking droop, because I'm obviously getting fuel now, as i can see smoke while on hills.

I think the next step is to adjust the droop screw, and I think I'll back off the fuel until I get that corrected. but I'm going to wait until I get a response from someone in case I'm headed the wrong direction here.

Jim
5psi at 1600rpm and 10psi at 2600rpm under load
Set top rpm first then use droop screw to set low rpm.
There is a TM that covers all this can't remember #

Jim

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5psi at 1600rpm and 10psi at 2600rpm under load
Set top rpm first then use droop screw to set low rpm.
There is a TM that covers all this can't remember #

Jim
Was think going a little higher 6 or 7 and 11 or 12 and pre turbo 1200* all day long.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Jim
Don't know what pump you have but if I had to guess you don't have droop screw but you do have smoke cam set at 33*. Needs to be less angle to increase boost. I will try and take some pics.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks