• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to turn up fuel...in pictures?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you still having problems did you change all filters, check all lines (suction and return) for dammage and working correctely. Check intank pump for correct pressure. check IP fuel pump pressures at the different rpm's. Check to see if you engine can even get to 2600rpm no load?
Check turbo and air filter for free and clear air to move and running some good clean diesel.
Would have to agree that we might not be able to get much boost down low as said not much air moving.

THEROAD

Finally someone says something about NO LOAD I work on 3208Cat's in boats. If they do not turn-up the first thing is to check NO LOAD. It is usually time for filters. Diesels only need fuel and air. Figure out which one or maybe even both.

stb64

max. no load speed in neutral is 2900 rpm, not 2600.
turning up the fuel will not raise your rpm's if your no load speed is set too low.
the adjusting screw is located under the sealed cover behind the fuel control lever.
also make sure your gas pedal linkage works properly.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never said that the Gov had to be set at 2600 only if can you motor reach 2600rpm. The Gov will only let it spin to what you have it set for. lds465-1 was allowed to go to 2850-2900 and after some pumps/motors gov was set at 2800 and some at 2600rpm load or no load.
Don't know who said turning up fuel would raise up Gov in this thread as it won't

PS I would only do a no load test will full oil and water temps up to operating temp.
Turning up the main fuel delivery will increase the amount of fuel and also efect smoke cam and droop.
That is why these should be checked after main fuel is increased.

Last edited:

stb64

nhdiesel said his enginebarely gets to 2400rpm even in the low gears, on the flats and with no load. he turned up the fuel and it smokes, and still rpms are low. so maybe he should check his no-load rpms first

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be honest he should go to the TM trouble shooting the 465 and find the problem. Buy the time it takes to post a thread and read what all have said it would be faster and the problem most likely found.
Also after thinking wonder if it is running on all cylinders?

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this thread is being used to show and tell here if lucky is how you set you noload / max rpm. Im not going to tell you where you want to stop but the last one I did on my motor I set at 1850. Counterclockwise will increase rpm.
Might be hard to see but you have to remove the tin cover over throttel shaft and in the pic it is screw F on the pic of ip on the right. Should look like stud locknut closest to fire wall.

Attachments

Last edited:

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well I turned mine one full turn today. Only get the black smoke if I take it from idle to WOT, and then it's just a short puff and back to normal. Took me longer to grind a wrench down that to do the actual job. Went for a test run and I can tell the difference in throttle responce. As soon as I touch the peddle the truck goes, there is no more lag time. Very happy with the way this has turned out. As with so many things on these truck, it just sounds harder than what it really is.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I had so few threads sticking out that I could only be turned up. So I don't think I have to worry about having gone too far. I will have to test it against the fastest deuce I know. poof's.

Clay James

I can only get my M109A3 to 50 at 2500 RPM so would this be good to try? I want to get it a little faster for freeway driving. I figured I was going too slow when big rigs were passing me:grin: My M35A2 has no problems getting to 60 or even a little faster down hill.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can only get my M109A3 to 50 at 2500 RPM so would this be good to try? I want to get it a little faster for freeway driving. I figured I was going too slow when big rigs were passing me:grin: My M35A2 has no problems getting to 60 or even a little faster down hill.
You would do well to search for and READ the many threads describing catastrophic engine failures (typically throwing a rod THROUGH the engine block) caused by over-revving and trying to exceed the design limits of these machines.

Please be sure to post pics of your cratered engine, the pic-hounds around here LOVE to see the SHTF evidence .... it's not IF it will fail, but WHEN ! ! !

nopics
:doh::deadhorse:aua2cents

BTW: SHTF = Sh*t Hit The Fan

[thumbzup]

Clay James

You would do well to search for and READ the many threads describing catastrophic engine failures (typically throwing a rod THROUGH the engine block) caused by over-revving and trying to exceed the design limits of these machines.

Please be sure to post pics of your cratered engine, the pic-hounds around here LOVE to see the SHTF evidence .... it's not IF it will fail, but WHEN ! ! !

nopics
:doh::deadhorse:aua2cents

BTW: SHTF = Sh*t Hit The Fan

[thumbzup]
I've seen a lot of the thrown rod ones which is why I don't like the red line and NEVER over-rev them, well, except that one time by mistake:x. I just want a FEW more MPH :smile: For freeway driving the A2 I can do about 55 at 2200 RPM which is comfortable.

BadMastard

Hey Clay James,
My .02$ is that my 109 didn't go any faster, it just got there quicker when I turned up the fuel. Things to find out are- what's your motor? (I was ldt-465) What's your tire pressure? (I'm at 50 lbs), Any brake drag? Clutch happy and clean? Fuel pressure? You've probably already checked all that, but just in case. Once all those things were good on my 109, she ran nice, good mpg, and made me smile. Good Luck!

BadMastard

Billy Bobbed

I noticed sense I turned my fuel up im getting a flutter sound from my foot bouncing on the pedal.When I go threw town 25,30 mph and you hit a little bump my foot bounces on the pedal a little and makes a flutter sound threw the exhaust.The sound is rather noticable threw town bouncing off the buildings.I think its got a lot better throttle response now.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Fully agree to the throttle responce. I'm not getting the flutter sound, but it does have a different tone to it. Very happy with it so far. I'm going to take it on a run of about 50 miles tonight and see what difference there is.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turning up the fues has NOTHING to do with The RPM the governor is set at. It just Ups the HP of the engine not on what the RPM the engine operates at
Westech:
Thank you for clarifying that.
I had previously, and apparently mistakenly, understood that the "enrichment" also goosed the top-end RPM.
I can see I'll be doing a bunch more reading myself.... YIPPEEEEEE :!: :!: :!:

BigHank

I have a non-turbo engine. How much, if any increase will I see with fuel increase? I'm not unhappy with my trucks speed or performance for the most part with the 14.00's except for speed loss at full throttle on climbs. I tend to run at around 2k-2200 on the highway, I get passed plenty, but I haven't bothered to have anyone run with me to figure out just how fast I'm going. Also without a turbo do I really need to worry about EGT? Isn't that mostly a concern with turbo destruction as the engine temp will still give me the info I need?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks