• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to video of M108 crane operation

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've always be befuddled by the operations, now I have it down. Question for you Dennis. Did you remove the center rear deck and add a sub panel underneath it and use this as an extra box? My plans were to do something similar but make a cover for it as well.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your befuddled, we are in deep doo-doo. I didn't mention outriggers, micro lock, or parking brake. Or proper rigging and hand signals. Geez, I'm an accident waiting to happen.

On the rear deck, I didn't cut it, the previous owner did... I thought the box underneath was factory. The original decking is the cover. It was cut, then hinged with a lock hasp on it. It's sitting in the garage. The box is about 4 foot long, the width of the frame rails, and about 8 in deep. The cover is about 2/3 of that.

Dennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great use of dead space. I need to work on that. Got a real nice cab yesterday, complete too! Perhaps a cab swap is closer that ever!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dennis, we appreciate you taking the time to do all of these "how to" videos!

I wonder if we should collect all the how to videos that are out there and put them in one place, like the Deuce wiki or the Deuce article.

tm america

nice video i also watched your video trying to winch deuce out of ditch,i wonder if you can boom in with the front of a deuce hangin like that .or what you ended up doing to get that one out of there:roll:

scooter01922

Not to be a PITA but i was just reading the -10 yesterday for the **** of it ( about the 3rd read). Payed close attention to the m108/m60 section as hopefully mine will be home next week. Could have sworn the manual says to put the tranny in 5th. Now you may do it differently cause you repowered with a multi and the tranny is OD and not direct drive like the gasser. IIRC 4th on a multi is direct. You also lack the aux engine gov of the gasser to maintain 1700 RPM but thats all small stuff i suppose. :-D

saddamsnightmare

January 3rd, 2010.

Thanks Stretch 44875:p!

I don't own an M108, but if I get ahold of one at least I'll know something about running it. What was the lifting capacity of the crane, as I understand the Army finally figured out a deuce is almost too small to be much of a wrecker and thus settled on the 5 ton unit. Thyanks again, now you need a cab for the crane.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

scooter01922

As i know the 108 specs backwards, forwards and upsidedown.......its 8k lbs with outriggers deployed and the boom retracted 4 K at full extension. Also, with boom supports in place its good for 6500 Lbs for towing ops.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scoot, 4th is direct on the 3053 which Dennis and I have in the trucks. I'm much more comfortable running my crane at around 1100 RPM. Never stalls in any lift and the boom and hoist movements are slow enough to make very precise movements. I've ran it at 1400 before and went right back to the 1000/1100 mode.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i run the 819 in 4th and anywhare from idle ( about 500) to about 1000, , even at idle had no trouble with the 977 recovery

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1000-1200 in 4th gear works nice for most situations. Even when the truck was a gasser, 4th worked good. 5th would bog the engine some. For fun I've put it in 5th at 2200rpm. Crane flies, but pump will start caviting. Pump is a vane style, and needs to spin at some speed to build pressure. It can spin slower and still work, just not a lot slower.

Have not ran Eric's M819 enough to get a feel for pump speed. Just now figured out how to set the governor, thanks to AMgeneral.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks