• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How / what to inspect before buying half track project

pad_cdr

I couldn't find a thread on this, but if there is one, please point me at it and I apologize in advance.

Local halftrack for sale. Looks like an M3 in the pictures. No rear armor, no cab, engine stuck, big crane on the back of it. It has the hood, fenders running boards

I'm still trying to convince myself that this is too much to take on right now, but I'm not having much success talking myself out of it. I'm going to drive out and take a look at it, and wondered what sort of things I should be looking for.

The price is $1500, about what it would go for scrap, so that is a part of the appeal.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a decent base to start from. If you're on the fence, I would do this:

Buy the half-track, get it home. Then take a torch and cut off the crane, and any other junk which doesn't belong on it. Scrap that out to get some $$$ back out of it. Then, you have the remainder, which is all half-track. If by that time you don't feel like tackling the project, you got a good base, without any extraneous crap on it, to market to someone in the MV hobby who will fix it up with the correct repro armor, etc.

My two cents.

battlecr

Ok, if you have the capability of getting the crane off you might think about it. First and formost check the frame. Allot of times when they put the cranes on them they would lenghten the frame. That is a real problem. Also make sure the frame is not bent and they haven't welded too much crap the frame. The weak sister on the frames is where the hump is for the rear differencial is mounted. See if it has broken there and been repaired. If you have good frame then you have something to build on.

You might want to check out my thread on rebuilding my M3, also the thread by Dirt71 on his restoration. I had to shorten my frame by 4'. Luckily the old millwright that did the work on mine was a true craftsman, so it was easy.

There is an old saying with half tracks either buy one that's mostly together and bleed out fast. Or buy a fixer-upper and bleed out slow. Either way you bleed out. I'm going on 2 years now. Big air tools, torch and welder and a crane are very handy to get them apart.

Also check the shape of the boogies and tracks. Not cheap. All that being said, the halftrack has to be one the coolest vehicles ever, I think maddawg pegged it about right. The big issue is the frame it needs to be in decent shape Then if you want to sell it it has some value.

I thought I'd add in, if it has the roller on it better get it. An original roller is gold. Also the M3's had a double frame. The M2's didn't.

Good luck!

Don G.

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

Bottom line, if you have the money, get it. These are getting hard to find and if you want to get one some day, this is a good parts vehicle if nothing else. If you do not have the money to tie up in it, pass it by. Good points about the frame and other things. A $1500 half track is something you can't go wrong with if you can get it home and have the room to work on it. There was one close to me a few months ago but they wanted $2500, which was too much for me. I have two in worse shape than the one you are looking at and they will take a lot of work to do much with, but I can't afford a runner at $15,000. In my opinion you can't go wrong buying something that can be parted out for what you are paying for it, unless of course, you can't afford the investment.

Does it have a roller on the front? It looks like the frame has not been stretched. We want more pictures. Good luck.

battlecr

First thing you want to check is your bank balance the next thing you want to check is how strong your marrage is. After that then your sanity and that is about it. Good luck. Eddy
Eddy you pegged that about right, my Boss is very understanding and I couldn't have attempted my project with out her support. Still can't figure out what she see's in me?

quickfarms

I like the tractor seat. It could be a cool vehicle or just part it out. There are guys that collect antique construction equipment so there might be a market for the Crain or parts if it.

M215

The halftrack that we started with was purchased for $1800 and ended up being a parts vehicle. These are pictures of our starting track and the almost completed project 7 years and lots of $ later. Any halftrack is worth saving even if it only ends up as a parts track.

1where_it_started S.jpgIMG_0737s.jpg

Last edited:

battlecr

Nice before and after M215, heres a picture of my parts HT, the loggers had it and broke the frame. They had a yarder on it. The one Im restoring was from a mill and had a cherry picker on it. Going on year three of my restoration. Lots of blood sweat and tears (and $$$$$). But they are well worth saving.

Don G

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks