• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy all, New guy here. With a question, go figure :)

AZORRAT

So I'm the proud new parent of 4 deuces and 3, 809 series 5 tons. Birthing these things to my house has been quite an experience, ranging from driving the things to trailer in them behind my mega-cab Dodge. Anywho, my M275 hauls butt, an unusual amount of butt, like spin the rear 8 tires on the black top if nesessary. If I drive it like a 5 ton, slow and easy, all good. If I hammer it down this happens in the photo, and it sounds like it may attempt to "lift off" via the rocket sounding boost of the turbo, and its straight piped (no muffler). Normal for a tractor, or someone crank the fuel? That is my question, and Im sure I'll have more soon. Thx

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'm the proud new parent of 4 deuces and 3, 809 series 5 tons. Birthing these things to my house has been quite an experience, ranging from driving the things to trailer in them behind my mega-cab Dodge. Anywho, my M275 hauls butt, an unusual amount of butt, like spin the rear 8 tires on the black top if nesessary. If I drive it like a 5 ton, slow and easy, all good. If I hammer it down this happens in the photo, and it sounds like it may attempt to "lift off" via the rocket sounding boost of the turbo, and its straight piped (no muffler). Normal for a tractor, or someone crank the fuel? That is my question, and Im sure I'll have more soon. Thx
I would say someone cranked the fuel and without Pyro and Boost gauges likely headed to a meltdown
Here is a thread on how to turn up the fuel it may be of some help to turn it down . All that black smoke is unburnt fuel heading out the exhaust pipe.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from KY, sounds like you went for the "instant collection" option. Your tractor may be naturally aspirated.
Is it equiped w/ a turbo charger?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I would plan on partially melted pistons as is. Time to install a pyrometer and de-tune it. Did the collection come with a spare motor?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can leave it "hot" if you know how to drive it.

You have to back off the fuel in a long hard pull or with a load on it (find a gear it will pull in at about 1600 RPM and let her pull).

Dumping fuel to it will cause a reconfiguration of the internals (usually at the most inopportune time).

You also do not want to run it wide open on level ground either......2100 RPM on level ground with no load will be sufficient.

Put some 1100x20's on it if you want a few more MPH.

As noted above a pyro is a must if you are running it warmed up.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Others have already rendered excellent wisdom to you.
I have nothing else to add but this....

I see this is your very first post, soooooo......

Welcome aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:
This website has much to offer. Grab some coffee and enjoy the bedtime reading. Yes, FEED the ADDICTION!

Again, WELCOME !

Carry on.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That pic will make a great wall paper for my home screen. Any chance I could get a higher resolution pic emailed to me?

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome, get a pyrometer, and a boost gauge!!! Or you will be changing or rebuilding a engine. I'm getting good at melting pistons!,

AZORRAT

Spectacular, I was hoping the answer was, yes the tractors come turned up for pulling power and let er' rip, so I guess back under the hood I go. Where is the best place to get info on appropriate egt temps? Thank you for all of the welcome and quick help responses. I have followed the solders forum for years in anticipation on getting a M816 for my business. Now I have 2 M816, 2 M35A2, 1 M35A2C, 1 XM816 and 1 Smokin' M275. Hey, like they say, go big or go home. I just unfortunately went big, way way to big lol. I'll get some pics up of the rest of the armory soon.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spectacular, I was hoping the answer was, yes the tractors come turned up for pulling power and let er' rip, so I guess back under the hood I go. Where is the best place to get info on appropriate egt temps? Thank you for all of the welcome and quick help responses. I have followed the solders forum for years in anticipation on getting a M816 for my business. Now I have 2 M816, 2 M35A2, 1 M35A2C, 1 XM816 and 1 Smokin' M275. Hey, like they say, go big or go home. I just unfortunately went big, way way to big lol. I'll get some pics up of the rest of the armory soon.
I read the list of your trucks out loud and my wife commented from the background "This guy cannot possibly be married!". Be it as it may - pictures of the rest of the herd would be nice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks