• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy all, New guy here. With a question, go figure :)

Jericho

Noooooo, they don't come turned up all that way, some one did it, Listen close to the old hands (piston melt gurus, Turn it down, add instrumentation, and welcome from another New Hampshire Green trucker !

AZORRAT

I read the list of your trucks out loud and my wife commented from the background "This guy cannot possibly be married!". Be it as it may - pictures of the rest of the herd would be nice!
Haha. My girlfriend actually went in on this venture willingly for some reason. Don’t have any good pics of the 55 Studebaker M35A2 yet, but here’s the other heathens.
72 M816
71 XM813 W/W
78 M35A2
70 XM816
87 M35A2C

IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
6.JPG

AZORRAT

Noooooo, they don't come turned up all that way, some one did it, Listen close to the old hands (piston melt gurus, Turn it down, add instrumentation, and welcome from another New Hampshire Green trucker !
Just recently found out that the M275 had been turned up previously, and there was a pyro and boost gauge but had been removed. So egt gauge install and a little de-tune time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZORRAT

So, I have to ask, how did this come to be?
Long story but in a nut shell... Had been on the search for a 5 ton Wrecker for quite a while. Purchased the 72 m816 4 months ago, bought the second wrecker for parts a month later (which turns out is in way better shape and complete), and the other 5 were offered in a deal I couldn’t refuse (they were going to be crushed and scrapped by the end of last year if not sold). So I now run around my property trying to remember which step of which project I was on over 7 trucks. All run and drive (with some minor repairs) except for the 55 Studebaker which I just got home this week. IMG_0145.jpg

AZORRAT

Howdy all, New guy here. With a question, go figure 😊

M275 UPDATE
After a good cleaning I got around to installing the pyro in the truck. An open bung was already installed a few inches past the turbo so I did a post turbo arrangement. Standard easy pedal driving was 5-600 degrees depending on road grade and rpms and heavier acceleration showed an increase to just over 1000 degrees maybe touching the 1100 mark fully loaded. I read the Jatonka write up on pre post egt experiment and am going to assume that the modifications on this truck are satisfactorily done and will have to do some experimenting when I can do some heavy loaded runs. Idle was around 260 degrees after a 10-15 minute drive and returning home. Also it made its first car show this month :)

AZORRAT

I wouldn’t call it instant but pretty quick for sure lol. The process of getting 75 tons of military vehicles home has been, enlightening to say the least, of just basic processes in the big truck world are complicated exponentially. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy every second of this transport, repair, and modification project. Though when ready to sell some of my surplus I will certainly do my best to convey the concept that these are not normal trucks and require a lot of time and a strong mechanical aptitude to own one. I’ve worked on cars my whole life and had the assumption beginning tasks that they would go as smooth and as quick as usual and had a rude awakening immediately. Big trucks=big work=big problems! Lol

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I prefer my pyro in the manifold prior to the turbo, but as long as you know the turbo will soak up some heat and the gauge will read lower, you should be fine. I'd get REAL cautious at 1000*.

AZORRAT

I prefer my pyro in the manifold prior to the turbo, but as long as you know the turbo will soak up some heat and the gauge will read lower, you should be fine. I'd get REAL cautious at 1000*.
Agree 100%. Id like to see what a load behind it does. I have my Studebaker M35A2 still loaded on the tagalong trailer, maybe I’ll take another ride tomorrow. 16k lbs should be a good workout lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks