• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy from Arkansas

bdc

Hello Everyone,
I am a newbie to this site and to MVs in general. I picked up a '85 cucv M1009 today, and am already in LUV! It needs some work, ie no lights seem to work, needs some minor cosmetic repairs, have to get bonded title, etc, but it drives great and engine seems in good repair. I also want to spiff it up a bit by adding a winch, new paint, some more appropriate tires to do a bit of offroading maybe a 2" lift. I have been perusing the forums tonight getting some great ideas about installing radios/comm equipment and other mods. I also need to replace the front seats to get more leg room, I am a big guy and need a bit more leg room. Unfortunately I have no mechanical training, but am going to try a few of the mods myself. I am always interested in learning new things. I am really excited about my new (to me) rig, and about finding this site! Thanks for having this great site available!!

Attachments

bdc

Thanks for the welcomes!

@Porkysplace, thanks for the site info... the seller tried to explain the blackout system to me and I think I did it correctly but you never know. I will check out the manuals and see if I can figure it out. If they still don't work, it should still be a relatively easy fix...there aren't too many components and wires in that thing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I picked up a '85 cucv M1009 today, and am already in LUV!
Bit of machochist are ya????

If they still don't work, it should still be a relatively easy fix...there aren't too many components and wires in that thing.
Which CUCV are you looking at??

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy. :cookoo:

The CUCV's and their breathern are notorious for electrical gremlins......I drove them in the Army and my opinion of them has not improved.

But this hobby is all about what floats your particular boat.

There are plenty of folks on the site who love them and there is a wealth of knowledge about their care and feeding....you will have plenty of support from your fellow enablers.

Last edited:

91W350

The switch marked service lights to the left of the steering column on the lower face of the dash needs to be in the on position. If it is not, you will have no lights, brake lights, nothing. Glen

bdc

Woohoo, finally figured out the blackout light system and all the lights and blinkies work just fine. Like I always say...if at first you don't succeed...read the manual!!!

ARYankee

Welcome!!!! Great to see another Arkansan on here. If you are ever in the Benton area holler at me. This is a very addictive and time consuming hobby. I love it!!!

combat32

I know a great CUCV mechanic in Bloomer! Welcome aboard, there are a few of us around the Ft. Smith area.Shoot me a pm if interested in joining the Arkansas MVPA we do several events every year and have our 100 mile convoy coming up April 30th.

That truck looks familiar did you buy it from that fella on Zero street?

bdc

I know a great CUCV mechanic in Bloomer! Welcome aboard, there are a few of us around the Ft. Smith area.Shoot me a pm if interested in joining the Arkansas MVPA we do several events every year and have our 100 mile convoy coming up April 30th.

That truck looks familiar did you buy it from that fella on Zero street?

Thanks, what is the MVPA? and yes I got one of Eugene's 09s. I think he still has 2 left. If you haven't met him, he's a real nice guy. He's got a trailer that I'm considering getting if he hasn't got it sold.

As far as the 100 mile convoy, I would be interested in hearing about that, tho I am not sure I will have my bonded title in yet by then.

Thanks again for the welcome.:)

ARYankee

The Military Vehicle Preservation Association...... The national organization is ok but the Arkansas Chapter is some what lame. They only do 2 "major" events a year. They don't really do any cool rallies or any thing. You don't have to join to participate in their events. It would be money well saved... IMHO.