• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy from South Carolina

Crazyls2

I just wanted to take a moment and say hi to you folks. I had the pleasure of running into a couple of guys in Hooks Texas a couple of weeks ago while doing an inspection of a truck I had bought. The guys were more than helpful and gave me many great suggestions. They were driving a 5 ton picking up a trailer they had bought. If one of you happen to read this post thanks again for the chat and for making sure to tell me about this forum. Looking forward to sharing with you guys my M1078 journey when it finally works out. There is so much information available on this site it is almost shocking. Thanks to all of you that have contributed, I am sure it will save me a ton of time and likely save me money as well.

I am struggling with an after auction problem but for now I will remain optimistic it will work out. Two weeks worth of calls and emails have been pretty disappointing.

Sean

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Sean! I'm in SC as well!

MVCSC is very active club with lots of help, equipment, and we do lots of parades and events. Right near the Blue Cross Blue Shield building in Columbia. We have meetings every Wednesday night.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just wanted to take a moment and say hi to you folks. I had the pleasure of running into a couple of guys in Hooks Texas a couple of weeks ago while doing an inspection of a truck I had bought. The guys were more than helpful and gave me many great suggestions. They were driving a 5 ton picking up a trailer they had bought. If one of you happen to read this post thanks again for the chat and for making sure to tell me about this forum. Looking forward to sharing with you guys my M1078 journey when it finally works out. There is so much information available on this site it is almost shocking. Thanks to all of you that have contributed, I am sure it will save me a ton of time and likely save me money as well.

I am struggling with an after auction problem but for now I will remain optimistic it will work out. Two weeks worth of calls and emails have been pretty disappointing.

Sean
Hi Sean,

Welcome to the outfit from North Carolina!

I hope you can get your after auction problem resolved. I have made a few purchases from individuals that were "exactly as advertised" and I have had a few that weren't. None of my experiences were awful, and I have made several good friends.

EDIT: Discovered forum feedback from Crazyls2 saying that his "after auction" problem was resolved (3-9-2021)! Good News all around!

Keep your chin up and in most cases - If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, most likely it might be a duck (or not!). I personally have come to the conclusion that if you aren't willing to go look yourself you might be disappointed. OR everything might be perfectly wonderful maybe... Positive attitude means everything!

Be sure to post some pictures of what you are purchasing - or thinking about buying.
The folks here love to admire projects and trucks and trailers and mobile kitchens and, and, and :cool:

Tim

Last edited:

Crazyls2

Welcome Sean! I'm in SC as well!

MVCSC is very active club with lots of help, equipment, and we do lots of parades and events. Right near the Blue Cross Blue Shield building in Columbia. We have meetings every Wednesday night.
Appreciate you, I am doing the best I can to remain positive. The first part of this process has been educational to say the least. It is a bit unnerving to spend what I consider to be a significant amount of money for something that in the end is little more than a toy only to find you aren't getting what you thought you were getting. If I were to buy anything else that is as expensive as this, I will be going to check it out in person first.

Look forward to linking up with you guys at some point.

Crazyls2

I just wanted to make a quick update. This morning I got a phone call from someone in the dispute resolution department and she explained that the people at the site in Hooks Texas had looked at my truck and found the ECU for the transmission had failed and they replaced it with one that works. The truck is alive once again. I fear I might have been a little impatient but after speaking to her I felt they did go out of their way to make things right. I was concerned because I had read several posts on here about items not being in the condition the report noted. Maybe they don't always get it right but in this case, they made mine right. I will be going to do an in person inspection for anything of value I bid on in the future.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hello from the North Georgia Mountains also, be sure to check out the Denton Rally coming up,

and buy sell thread

Crazyls2

Went to Mexico for a few days with my wife and as we are traveling to the airport I got an email telling me after waiting since January our EUC was finally approved. Heading to Texas next week to try and get it home. Super excited.

Crazyls2

So yesterday was an adventure! My home town is about 120 miles from the yard where I picked up my truck. I tried to find someone that wasn't a complete ripoff to transport it but in the end just decided to try my luck and drive it home. Batteries were all dead so I looked at places all the way from South Carolina to Texas. Found 2 in Tyler Texas. Went ahead and put those on the truck and it fired right up.

We waited a while for the tires to air up and spent that time giving the truck a once over to see if we found any obvious signs of problems. With everything looking ok we hoped on the road and started heading to Palestine Texas. On the highway my first problem came up, max speed 47MPH, truck wasn't going into 7th. After a very long 5 min on Texas highways (with a 75MPH speed limit) we exited and creeped into a gas station. I got fuel and couldn't see anything that would be causing my problem so we thought we would try it once more, maybe the computer just got hung up. Truck wouldn't start! No signs of life! I remembered reading something on here about the translation ecu causing the truck to not act right. The dash was not assembled and all the bolts and washers were in a bag in the truck. Started poking around behind the cover and found the connection to the transmission keypad was not secure. Got everybody plugged back in and it fired up. Put a few bolts in and back on the road we went.

Drove for about an hour, wearing my ear protection I use when I shoot my guns because I fear I will be dear if I don't, we get hungry and see a BBQ place with a bunch of American flags so we thought it was an ideal location for lunch. Brisket was amazing!

Back out to the truck to finish our finial leg and she won't start again. Went over the transmission plugs again and it seemed fine. Started checking relays and they were all fine. Came on this forum and searched for normal problems you guys have had and tried a few different suggestions from here and was unsuccessful. My brother called a diesel mechanic, he told us to try and short the starter solenoid but we had already done that so he told us to give the starter a few whacks of the hammer..... fired right up.

My younger brother switched out with me and drove the last 40 miles. I retreated to the air conditioned cab of my pickup.

Once in Palestine we took the truck to Sonic for a drink followed by another stop for dinner. My best friends 20 year old son even took a stab at driving the LMTV.

Now the fun begins. Going to arrange a trip to the mechanic for a full service and once over then need to find transport to Charleston.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Trucking is really messed up right now, took me nearly a week to get some normal Freight moved, was told it was due to the oil pipeline Fiasco, if you can wait a week or two you might have better luck.
Same here in North Carolina. Some things zip right in. Other things should have arrived here by freight truck in a day have taken more than a week. There is no reasoning to it. I just fuss about it and blame it on our government.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as it checks out mechanically, I would just drive it home. Have a chase vehicle and a few good friends go with you. I promise you will never forget the adventure! I brought my M934 home in January. Cold as all get out, drove it off the lot on 8 year old fuel. We were 1,000 miles from home. It was an act of pure faith. We still laugh about that trip. There are members on this site all along your route. If you run into trouble, put up a smoke signal for help...
By the way, I sure hope you didn’t get involved in this disease, I mean hobby, to save money. The good news is, you found the best resource ever for any “hobby”. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks