• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub Bearing Race Removal

Rob B

I am rebuilding my HMMWV hubs. The upper drive gear outer bearing race is a bear. So far I have no clear plan on how to remove them. Maybe a special tool?
Any advice please. Thanks

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am rebuilding my HMMWV hubs. The upper drive gear outer bearing race is a bear. So far I have no clear plan on how to remove them. Maybe a special tool?
Pics might help

rcamacho

There are some excellent bearing race removal/installation tools available from Harbor freight and other sources.

Else if you can get a clear shot but the flat part of the radius that overhangs the machine tub you can tap on it gently and carefully with the soft tools such as a piece of brass drift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoonsc1

I believe you are speaking about the race that is in a "blind hole" and has no way to get behind the race to knock it out, the plug that gives you access to the CV axle bolt is the only thing on the other side of that race.

if this is the race you are asking about I can tell you how I did mine. usually you can use a welder and run a bead around the face of the race and once it cools (you hear it popping and cracking while it cools) it shrinks and you usually can turn the hub over and bang it on the table and it will fall out. if it doesn't shrink enough, cut a piece of angle iron or flat bar and lay it across and weld the piece to the race and use a punch through the plug hole to knock it out.

I also used the bearing installer kit from HF to install the races.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks