• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huge project! M-813-a1-x

TheBuggyman

Hey everyone!

With the bambino on the way I have made a few life changes. The first of which is to own ONE MV, and do it like no one else, to the best of my ability. So, I sold the M818 and m127, kept the M813 and recently bought a M919 rolling chassis. My original thought was to use the brakes off of the 919 for the 813 but that won't work.......

I also picked up a Big Cam Cummins 400 w/Jakes and a Cat 16 speed, so I will be selling the Big Cam 350 that I recently bought.

So, here are some questions that I'll put to the forum to get opinions:

1) Is the Cat tranny worth the trouble? I don't have a shifter for it and it seems really complicated. I also did not get the PTO with it, which I'm assuming is what is missing from the driver's side of the tranny. If it is not worth it, what is it worth and is anyone interested?

2) I did a dump conversion on my 813 and thought: Wow, that 919 has a full length double frame and a lift axle. All with air brakes! So, what if I put the 400 Cummins into the 919 chassis with everything else from my 813? Would it just basically be a ten ton then?

3) If I used the 919 chassis I would need a t-case from one as the front axle has a centered pinion and needs the lower rear output to clear all of the chassis components. Does anyone have one of these? I realize that they have no low range, and that is fine with me.

4) If I just sold the chassis and axles, what could I get for it? It does have a bare cab that is in really good shape, if anyone is interested let me know, otherwise it goes to the scrap yard on Monday.

5) I will be converting to super singles if I use the 919, clearing the front brakes with a 20" rim will be an issue. Has anyone tried to fit a rim over the drum with the air stem removed? I'm curious if the rim will fit in that manner as I'm led to believe that the air stem is a large issue. I don't want HEMMT rims as I already have the combat rims on my 813.

So, there it is.:grin:

Green Iron Fever has varying symptoms..........

No.2Diesel

Hi,

I totally missed your post about picking up the 919 frame etc.....

You may be able to take the 16" drums & backing plates etc. off the rear 919s and put them on the 813s axles however it may not fit with 20" rim (you now have the luxury to do a trial fit) Or you may have to go to a 22.5" or 24" wheel.......

Taking the front air brake parts off the 919 and using them under the 813 looks to be out of the question due to dimensional and structural differences in the king pin steering knuckle, axle design etc.

My opinion......So you like MVs, dump trucks, & functionality, etc?........Take the 800 series cab, front end etc. and place the whole thing on the 919 chassis. That way you still have the space to place your drivetrain etc. without major modification as well as having the good looks of the 800 series sheetmetal. Then all you need is a nice elongated 817 dump bed or whatever to finish it off!

Good luck on the project.....btw have you inspected the T-case on those 915 series? Its amazing how puny they look for the application. Obviously there up to the task but was surprised at how tightly they're packaged.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buggyman - I saw your truck at the VA rally last year, and if that truck's excellent workmanship is any hint of how this new project will turn out, I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

M1075

Hey everyone!

With the bambino on the way I have made a few life changes. The first of which is to own ONE MV, and do it like no one else, to the best of my ability. So, I sold the M818 and m127, kept the M813 and recently bought a M919 rolling chassis. My original thought was to use the brakes off of the 919 for the 813 but that won't work.......

I also picked up a Big Cam Cummins 400 w/Jakes and a Cat 16 speed, so I will be selling the Big Cam 350 that I recently bought.

So, here are some questions that I'll put to the forum to get opinions:

1) Is the Cat tranny worth the trouble? I don't have a shifter for it and it seems really complicated. I also did not get the PTO with it, which I'm assuming is what is missing from the driver's side of the tranny. If it is not worth it, what is it worth and is anyone interested?

2) I did a dump conversion on my 813 and thought: Wow, that 919 has a full length double frame and a lift axle. All with air brakes! So, what if I put the 400 Cummins into the 919 chassis with everything else from my 813? Would it just basically be a ten ton then?

3) If I used the 919 chassis I would need a t-case from one as the front axle has a centered pinion and needs the lower rear output to clear all of the chassis components. Does anyone have one of these? I realize that they have no low range, and that is fine with me.

4) If I just sold the chassis and axles, what could I get for it? It does have a bare cab that is in really good shape, if anyone is interested let me know, otherwise it goes to the scrap yard on Monday.

5) I will be converting to super singles if I use the 919, clearing the front brakes with a 20" rim will be an issue. Has anyone tried to fit a rim over the drum with the air stem removed? I'm curious if the rim will fit in that manner as I'm led to believe that the air stem is a large issue. I don't want HEMMT rims as I already have the combat rims on my 813.

So, there it is.:grin:

Green Iron Fever has varying symptoms..........
I'll give my input.

1. I think the 16 speed cat tranny is really cool. I would use it if you can.
2. The M919 chassis is rated for 75,000 GVW so it will handle the weight a lot better than a 5 ton. Would you use the 5 ton cab or the M919?
3. A low range transfer is not needed as the tranny is geared really low.
4. If you decide to sell the cab, there might be some interior stuff I would buy.
5. Not sure why you don't want HEMTT rims, as those are the easiest to use on a M919. They are also better suited for the weight. Check out the M917 on ebay for a super single option.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

TheBuggyman

Hi,

I totally missed your post about picking up the 919 frame etc.....

You may be able to take the 16" drums & backing plates etc. off the rear 919s and put them on the 813s axles however it may not fit with 20" rim (you now have the luxury to do a trial fit) Or you may have to go to a 22.5" or 24" wheel.......

Taking the front air brake parts off the 919 and using them under the 813 looks to be out of the question due to dimensional and structural differences in the king pin steering knuckle, axle design etc.

My opinion......So you like MVs, dump trucks, & functionality, etc?........Take the 800 series cab, front end etc. and place the whole thing on the 919 chassis. That way you still have the space to place your drivetrain etc. without major modification as well as having the good looks of the 800 series sheetmetal. Then all you need is a nice elongated 817 dump bed or whatever to finish it off!

Good luck on the project.....btw have you inspected the T-case on those 915 series? Its amazing how puny they look for the application. Obviously there up to the task but was surprised at how tightly they're packaged.
No.2,
I am leaning toward your recommendation. It would also appear that the tandems are spaced farther apart than on my 5 ton so I will use 16R20's on the new project.

I was thinking of using the stock length bed off of my 813 but it would leave me with about 12 to 14 inches of space behind the cab. Perhaps some style of storage/headache rack?

I have not seen the t-case from the 919 as it did not come with one. Do you know where I can get one?

TheBuggyman

Did you pick the truck up yet? if so, WHERE are the pics! ;)
Sorry, no pics yet! Been real busy with a few projects, one of which is trying to decide what to do with everything! I'll try to get some up early next week, it is supposed to rain here all weekend and the wife could have the baby at any time as her due date was last Sunday!:grin:

TheBuggyman

Buggyman - I saw your truck at the VA rally last year, and if that truck's excellent workmanship is any hint of how this new project will turn out, I'm really looking forward to seeing it!
Mike,
Thanks for the kind words! I'm trying to decide if this project will be started soon and be done by the VA Rally or wait until after in case I cannot finish in time. I've gotta get the 350 Cummins sold and I suppose that I'll let the 813 chassis and axles go too, the frame is already set up for the dump conversion and the rears have lockers!:grin:

TheBuggyman

I'll give my input.

1. I think the 16 speed cat tranny is really cool. I would use it if you can.
2. The M919 chassis is rated for 75,000 GVW so it will handle the weight a lot better than a 5 ton. Would you use the 5 ton cab or the M919?
3. A low range transfer is not needed as the tranny is geared really low.
4. If you decide to sell the cab, there might be some interior stuff I would buy.
5. Not sure why you don't want HEMTT rims, as those are the easiest to use on a M919. They are also better suited for the weight. Check out the M917 on ebay for a super single option.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.
M1075,

I agree with you, the Cat tranny would be very cool, I just need to figure out what all the wires are for and the huge hydraulic connection on the bottom.......I also need a shifter.......

I need a transfer case.....

Just trying to save money by using my existing combat rims, nothing against HEMTT rims...:grin:

I don't have any interior items with the cab, it has been stripped clean but the cab itself is in great condition with only minor surface rust on the interior floor....

I also like the idea of having the truck driving just off of the center rear while on the road, perhaps the little bit higher gears and the 52's will help road manners......

And yes, I would absolutely use the 800 series metal on the truck!:grin:

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Buggy,

I drove 915's and 916's in the army and the Cat tranny is pretty cool once you learn how to slap shift it up and down. The drawback is that unless you have plenty of air storage it will shift into neutral if the air pressure drops below 80 PSI. Bad news if going downhill with a big load.
The other drawback is that anything with CAT printed on it is real expensive to repair and maintain unless you own a diesel shop.
I would look for a 9 speed out of a modern Class 8 tractor.
We convoyed from Fort Benning, GA to the NTC in California in 915's. We turned a couple of them up to 2300 RPM and they would run out at about 85 MPH. It was a blast to blow by the civilian truckers. All was well until I blew by the Convoy Commander who was running 70 in a CUCV. That ended the fast times.

PM me with price on the 350 and other left over parts.....I have a project of my own in mind.