• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer locker???

tatra813

I have a 1995 hummwe h1 and I am trying to figure out when it is put into high "lock" what exactly is happening. Is it locking the rear axle??

Also Iknow the newer hummers had eaton electronic axle lock for front and rear.

Just curious If mine would be equivelant or I would have to do mods to REALLY lock the axles

Ive also read threads that refer to hitting the break to stop a spinning tire to make the other tires grip??

any help please

I would assume my drivetrain would be more on the line of a military humvee?

Thanks

Last edited:

dilvoy

When you put the Transfer Case lever into High Lock, you are in the high gear of the Transfer Case and have locked the differential that is in the Transfer case. That means there is no slippage between the driveshaft that goes to the rear and the driveshaft that goes to the front. This is not to be used on hard or paved surfaces. You might be able to use it in the rain, but you will feel all sorts of fighting between the front and rear tires. Low Lock is the same thing, but in the low gear of the Transfer Case. If your Hummer is original, you will have Torson Diffs and they need to be tricked into locking up for maximum traction. You do this by pressing the brake and throttle together and modulating the brake. This would usually need to be done in a bad spot and once out of there you drive like normal again. It is hard on the brakes and probably the trans as well. This procecure is ment to get you out from a place where you would be stuck. You could break stuff if you just put the power to it and mash the brakes so practice it gently.

tatra813

Thanks for the reply! I found a link that explains some alsohttp://www.flashoffroad.com/features/Torsen/torsen_intheHummer.htm

It sounds like it is a better system than the later hummers. If one wheel is totally off the ground it sounds like the torsen system is useless without using this braking method which I dont think Im totally clear on yet.

If you hit the break to stop the spinning wheel that is in the air doesnt that break the wheel you want to move also? or is this the idea lock the spinning wheel and you end up fighting the break on the other side but at least the wheel then moves??

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.

Can you add a locker to a torson axle??

BIG_RED

The idea is that you want to equalize the load on the two wheels. With one wheel on the ground, and they other in the air, the load distribution is 0% : 100%. Normal diffs put more power to the wheel with the least load. (Not expert on torsion axles, but I understand them to be similar). If one wheel has 0% of the load, it will turn and the other one won't. Now if you put your E-brake on, you add an equal load to both wheels. If you put it on most of the way, it will change the load the diff sees to (brake load + free spinning) : (brake load + traction) so it'd be like 48%:52%. Now both wheels turn. Yes they are fighting the brake, but now the wheel on the ground is actually turning. Once you get to a point where the other wheel is on the ground, you disengage the brake and go. We do this where I live to get RWD vehicles up icy hills. It wears out the brakes, but it gets you where you need to go.

Stalwart

You don't apply brake suddenly to stop a wheel turning, unless you want to replace half shafts. I've owned a Hummer since 1993 and have done OBSCENE offroading in it. BEFORE you navigate an obsticle you apply light brake application and add throttle, you increase brake and throttle pressure as you loose traction. My wife is a master at this technique.

tatra813

Thanks alot for the info guys!! Now to find a supercharger to get some more power out of this gas motor, its great but kind of a dog. I heard pro charger makes a kit for the 350 TBI Ill have to check it out.

Stalwart

The gas motors were forced out of the Hummer because GM got fed up with warranty payouts, the engine is just too small for such a heavy truck.

racing4funn

Instead of starting a new thread this was the closest I found but still have questions.

1) so the late 80's model Hmmvee has the Torson Diffs? Mine performs more like an open.
2) Is there an elect or air lock option locker?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of starting a new thread this was the closest I found but still have questions.

1) so the late 80's model Hmmvee has the Torson Diffs? Mine performs more like an open.
2) Is there an elect or air lock option locker?
ARB and Eaton lockers...all HMMMWV's have torsion diffs.

Bobert

I had to watch this video before I understood how a torsen differential works. The part that made sense to me was the torque sent to the wheel on solid ground equals the resistance of the wheel in the air times 4 (or whatever). 0x0= 0 torque sent. Add 200lbs of resistance with brakes, then 800 is sent to the wheel on solid ground.

https://youtu.be/wiq1Rk5wqds

Also I didn't know what the transfercase did in H and HL since I've never had anything with all wheel drive. There is a differential in the transfer case, HL locks it. H is still 1 wheel drive but it might be in the front or back.

Action

The humvee is all wheel drive until a wheel slips or gets in the air. then all the power goes there because it is the path of least resistance. You can jack up one corner, put it in drive and hit the gas....it won't move (t/c in H)

snowtrac nome

when you apply brakes it shouldn't be that hard, all you are doing is providing a little drag to cause the gears to do the work. both wheels require a little friction to cause a lock up of the differential. once you learn how to use it, you will be amazed. I used to teach it during drivers training.