• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer Winch

JR

Someone I know has a spare hydraulic winch that we think was for a hummer, still in crate from GL, I dont have the #s in front of me, but is it worth my time to mount this to the deuce with a 5ton PS pump? If I always used a snatch block it would be 10K since I thing the hummer units are 5k.

maybefixit

It might be a nice addition, but at 5k it seems like that might be a little small for self-extraction of a Deuce. For use in pulling other things, it could be an advantage.

JR

The only US GI issue HYDRAULIC winch for the HMMWV is the 10.5K# MileMarker. There are also 2 Warn electrics, the 6K and 9K.

Mile Marker TACOM Approved Military Products
That is it! It looks like it will work in a pinch. If I am not mistaken a snach block doubles the pulling power so that is a 20k lb pull doubled up. Fabbing up brackets will be the easy part. the hydraulics is a new beast to me. I was thinking a 5-ton power steering pump and brackets would be a bolt in but where to find one on the cheap?

I was trying to look at the install instructions and all I get is
Mile Marker Website Restructure

dang!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the HMMWV TM's, it will show it how it mounts up. I find the -##P TM's to be especially usefull for stuff like this.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
[ If I am not mistaken a snach block doubles the pulling power so that is a 20k lb pull doubled up. Fabbing up brackets will be the easy part/QUOTE]

Snatch blocks do give you mechanical advantage but it depends on what you are trying to do.....moving a rollling load (in the case of pulling a vehicle up on a trailer) is a lot easier on the winch that trying to extract a 12,000 plus pound vehicle from gumbo mud or up a steep slope.

You could easily overload the winch or the cable and that could be big trouble if something broke.

Just my HO for what it is worth.

JR

I appreciate the concern guys, I dont take my truck muddin, I have had my truck for over a year and I am taking it off road for the first time at the VA Graves Rally next month. It is more likely i will just end up using it to do chores. If I ever did have to use it for self recovery I would be very cautious. I just want to do it because the winch is available to me at no out of pocket cost. I like the idea of not adding a ton of weight to the front and tucking the winch under the chassis too.