• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HUMMIES for DUMMIES

papakb

After reading the hundreds of Tales-of-Woe here on the Steel Soldiers Forum I'd like to create another topic that I'll call "Hummies for Dummies." This would be a place where you could post the things you learned the hard way about your new truck. Things like the mistakes you made and things you destroyed in the name of "repairing" your new toy so that others don't replicate your boo boos! Tales of arcs and sparks. Maybe even simple silly things you experienced. It definitely wouldn't be a "What Have You Done to your HMMWV?" competitor.

Here's a beginner: About a month after I started driving my HMMWV I was fueling up with the engine off when I heard a "tink" under the truck. I looked beneath it and laying there was most of a starter bolt! Halfway thru refilling the tank it just snapped off! How does that happen? If I had been on the road I would never have heard it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must have heard that diesel is corrosive and Gremlins eat through anything......

I have installed various military antennas on my rig for the "cool" factor but they are a pain the azm when I get hung up on trees and the like even tied down... They sometime snap in half quite easily...... Don't ask me how I know..

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
After reading the hundreds of Tales-of-Woe here on the Steel Soldiers Forum I'd like to create another topic that I'll call "Hummies for Dummies." This would be a place where you could post the things you learned the hard way about your new truck. Things like the mistakes you made and things you destroyed in the name of "repairing" your new toy so that others don't replicate your boo boos! Tales of arcs and sparks. Maybe even simple silly things you experienced. It definitely wouldn't be a "What Have You Done to your HMMWV?" competitor.

Here's a beginner: About a month after I started driving my HMMWV I was fueling up with the engine off when I heard a "tink" under the truck. I looked beneath it and laying there was most of a starter bolt! Halfway thru refilling the tank it just snapped off! How does that happen? If I had been on the road I would never have heard it.
I can supply a chapter or two...........

Chapter one......First have a secret stash of cash.

I see a book deal in the making LOL, CAMO

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can’t start my rig!!! OMG. Is it the PCB, the starter, the fuel pump, the batteries, is there a battery drain somewhere, did my alternator blow everything out????? How much is this gonna cost!!??!!??

Oh wait, I forgot... I left the damned three speed tranny in “Reverse”. Let me just slip it into “Neutral” and try this again.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Trying to get unstuck and applied the brakes. What was that "Snap" sound?

Here one ..... What's a TM ?

CAMO

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can’t start my rig!!! OMG. Is it the PCB, the starter, the fuel pump, the batteries, is there a battery drain somewhere, did my alternator blow everything out????? How much is this gonna cost!!??!!??

Oh wait, I forgot... I left the damned three speed tranny in “Reverse”. Let me just slip it into “Neutral” and try this again.
Doc,

Been there, done that :-(

I did that with my 5 ton. Can't tell you how many hours of troubleshooting and fiddling it took for me to figure it out even replaced the pcb. THe shifter on these does not have park and like a dummy I brought it to the first position which is reverse..... Good news is that the neutral safety switch works great and that is where I found the problem in the troubleshooting flow chart....

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Been waiting for six months and the M998 finally shows up tomorrow. Just can't wait to hit the trails. Heard I might need a PMCS. What's that?

Still on chapter one, CAMO

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
OK, Funny stuff here on the NEW SS "dart board" 🎯 ...LOL Not so sure it's the direction papakb was looking to go... BUT HEY, times are wack anyway.

Thinking about a M998 you know, one of those surplus ones. Looks really cool and all. Not to handy around the house, but wife says I'am good at the dishes and taking out the trash.

Would like to use it as my daily driver. What a do you guys think?

OH ! what would it take to keep up in Los Angeles traffic? Tire Kicker.

Yep.... CAMO

papakb

Back on topic? When I installed the dual pull brake MWO in my HMMWV I found it almost impossible to get the retaining rings that hold the flexible lines to the B pillar on. The only way to make them work was to sand the CARC paint off of the area where the clip seats.

sellers

Had my HMMWV for a few months, bad weather, fixing the PCB (thanks CAMO!) and just being busy with life. Went to the fuel station, first time filling up, and by the time I got home had lost half the tank! The drain hole bung on the fuel tank was loose! Lost that entire tank of diesel all over town and my drive way! Before filling up the first time crawl under there and check that drain bung!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you’re saying all HMMWV owners need to pop a plug in their bungs? Hmmmm. Not sure I agree with that, but your life, your lifestyle. It’s almost still a free country.

BsquadHotrod

Here's a B Squad move for you. I bought my troop carrier with a winch, but the winch had been pulled and the lines were capped off. I replaced 2 power steering pumps before I figured out it needed replumbed. Not my brightest moment(s).

JetbikeAnt

I had a Rivet-Nut with a frozen bolt stuck in it that was spinning when I tried to remove it. Felt I could "pop it out" with a little effort. Put a crowbar on it and used leverage. You all know what happened. 😭😭Been zipping frozen bolt heads off ever since!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks