• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee audio systems: What have you added / done to your rig ?

JoeJrTheBarber

Getting to the point where i need to add some sorta audio to the truck. Figure the easiest way would be to do a bluetooth sound bar kinda thing and call it a day. Not looking for concert quality just something to have in the background so the sqeaks and rattles dont drive me insane. Be so kind and help another Humvee owner out and post some pics of what you have done with your truck and if u are happy with it..

Thanks in advance...

twisted60

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg
This was my answer to easy sound in my HMMWV. Bluetooth speaker mounted to a 50 cal can. I added a power outlet to charge my phone and the speaker with a cigarette lighter port for my GPS, installed a false bottom to protect the electronics, use the upper portion on 50 cal can for light storage, paperwork mainly. Sounds good, I can hear it driving on highway.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Earmuffs are my sound system. I envy you if your ride is quiet enough to hear yourself think much less a radio...

AOR

Here is what I did it has its own power source , a USB port for charging phones and bluetooth as well as a clock. I got a nice beat up one from my friend so hopefully no one takes it. The radio is loud enough for me to hear with the top and doors off at highway speeds. I also added the AC system when House Depot has HMMWV AC units on sale it works great at stop lights to keep my head cool. I do have a power inverter and a battery charger if needed but as little as I drive it I have not had to charge the batteries in months

Attachments

Last edited:

JoeJrTheBarber

Earmuffs are my sound system. I envy you if your ride is quiet enough to hear yourself think much less a radio...
After chasing down some major squeaks and rattles my Humvee really isn't all that loud to be honest with ya. The major "noise" was coming from where the hood meets up against the body and that was solved with the "soft" side of some Velcro on both sides. Sounds simple but it works like a champ. Alittle silicone here, some washers there, and you will be surprised at the results.

Last edited:

Chief B

How do you like the sound it gives out ? Can you post some more phots of the install ?
I think this is the way to go but those things start at around $500 so I am trying to see what my options are before
I dive in..
So my 20yo son drove it home for me and said the sound is great. I’ll be honest, I have not heard it yet as my wife purchased this for me and I’m still on deployment. Currently my HMMWV is in the shop, but once it is ready to be picked up I can have my wife or son take some more pictures and maybe a sound clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to highjack this thread but Joe can you take some pics of the Velcro seal you did. I drove my truck the other day on a test drive with the hood off and I swear it was not as noisy with the hood on.

JoeJrTheBarber

Not trying to highjack this thread but Joe can you take some pics of the Velcro seal you did. I drove my truck the other day on a test drive with the hood off and I swear it was not as noisy with the hood on.
My truck is at my buddies shop as I type so I don't have it here to take pics. But literally at the three meetup points where the hood "sits" on the snubbers or whatever you call them for the body I put a strip of the soft side of Velcro on each side (hood & snubber thing) and it literally shut the truck up by 50%. At first I tried alittle WD40 but that didn't do anything. i'm a old car stereo install dude and I learned the soft side of Velcro trick from that trying to shut up customers squeaky plastic dash boards and such.

riderdan

I have this on a radio shelf

hmmwv-radio.jpg

It's a gutted RT-524 that contains a 24v audio amplifier. There's a 3.5mm audio jack that comes out from the radio to pick up audio from my phone or an MP3 player. That's piped to this
hmmwv-speaker.jpg
A military speaker on the windshield frame. At full volume it's easy to hear over the road noise, though that's a lot of dB making me even more deaf than I already am.

So the alternate is a pair of wires from the amp that goes to the VIC-1 control box aux in. Then I can get music over the VIC-1 headsets, which reduces the amount of noise it has to overcome.

Last edited:

909Hmmwv

I took a .50 ammo can and cut out the side, mounted a rocker switch panel with usb and 12v dc plugs. Inside of the can is a fuse block connected to the switch panel. The back of the can has a small hole and grommet which runs to a 24v-12v reducer. Due to the "hot" wire from the reducer, I switched the panel back onto itself, so that right most rocker powers the whole panel. From there I plug in a 4 place intercom system from an airplane and headsets which hang on hooks. I got a free old iPhone which I store music on and plug it via a 3.5 aux jack into the intercom.

So basically all 4 passengers get to listen to music via the headsets which cuts down greatly on the road noise and it allows them to communicate with each other. Ultimately I'll attempt to wire in a CB with a PTT.
file-5.jpg

Inspector 1

Installed 4 - 8" Kicker Marine Speakers powered by a 500 watt JL Audio Marine Amp. The Amp is mounted to the backside of the 6" tube. The system is all Bluetooth. This system surpassed my expectations on volume and clarity. Really loud and clear.

Attachments

M998 NYC

I took a .50 ammo can and cut out the side, mounted a rocker switch panel with usb and 12v dc plugs. Inside of the can is a fuse block connected to the switch panel. The back of the can has a small hole and grommet which runs to a 24v-12v reducer. Due to the "hot" wire from the reducer, I switched the panel back onto itself, so that right most rocker powers the whole panel. From there I plug in a 4 place intercom system from an airplane and headsets which hang on hooks. I got a free old iPhone which I store music on and plug it via a 3.5 aux jack into the intercom.

So basically all 4 passengers get to listen to music via the headsets which cuts down greatly on the road noise and it allows them to communicate with each other. Ultimately I'll attempt to wire in a CB with a PTT.
View attachment 743613
That's a solid setup. Any progress/upgrades since you posted in 2018?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks