• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee cooling issue

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had blow by into the water, you would overheat quickly even idling from my rebuilt engine sales rep days in another lifetime.....

You would also have bubbles with the cap off watching the circulation.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did remove the thermostat but did not drive it. I have tried the original thermostat (it was bad), tried civi thermostat that I tested before install (later removed), currently installed is an OEM thermostat.
I am leaning toward new radiator, can I have a leaking head gasket and it not show up with combustion block test ? The blue liquid doesn’t change color.
Thanks
i use a stant pressure system tester, there are a few tests to perform, one is when you Start the truck and see how long it takes to build pressure in the overflow tank, the other is too pump 15psi into the system and see how long It takes to leak down And lastly testing the radiator cap pressure, I’ve used this tool successfully for over 20yrs.

twisted60

DING DING DING Action wins with the wrong fan comment. I compared my 1152 6.5 TD to my 998 6.5 NA my 998 and my 1152 have the same fan installed. The 1152 has the 6.5 TD with surp belt and if I understand correctly the water pump turns the other way so fan blades should be opposite. The USMC did some work on her before she was sent to DMRO, I assume they broke some fan blades and replaced the fan with out checking part number.
I ordered the correct fan per the TM so when it arrives I'll install and hopefully that cures my overheating issue.

Thanks everyone for chiming in to help me get to the bottom of this issue.
jEt6PhRyR1ec8WGQJBYipw.jpg
My 998
eQZnnI3UQd+hcwnvPmZ+Gg.jpgORSLCwUwTW6HPHMMTVuHsA.jpg
My 1152 (2 pics)

I plan on fixing the shroud soon, guess Private Snuffy leaned on wrong part.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
DING DING DING Action wins with the wrong fan comment. I compared my 1152 6.5 TD to my 998 6.5 NA my 998 and my 1152 have the same fan installed. The 1152 has the 6.5 TD with surp belt and if I understand correctly the water pump turns the other way so fan blades should be opposite. The USMC did some work on her before she was sent to DMRO, I assume they broke some fan blades and replaced the fan with out checking part number.
I ordered the correct fan per the TM so when it arrives I'll install and hopefully that cures my overheating issue.

Thanks everyone for chiming in to help me get to the bottom of this issue.
View attachment 852069
My 998
View attachment 852070View attachment 852071
My 1152 (2 pics)

I plan on fixing the shroud soon, guess Private Snuffy leaned on wrong part.
Different fans opposite driving rotation That "fit" different engines -problem found. If that turns out to be true than that information should be put into a sticky or a place where that information can be found.

twisted60

Different fans opposite driving rotation That "fit" different engines -problem found. If that turns out to be true than that information should be put into a sticky or a place where that information can be found.
I'll update post when fan arrives and if that did in fact solve the issue. Ordered OEM fan from Midwest, very helpful company with fast shipping.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes, V belts on my 998

That does mean a different fan?

and just for even more questions/answers go to

Attachments

Last edited:

dhaumann69166

My Humvee will sit and idle or even go on short trips without over heating but a few miles down the road it starts climbing in temp. Turns out I had a bad connection on my TDM the way disengaging the fan clutch when I was moving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks