• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee horns

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is shot. Barely actuates and sounds terrible when it does. My horn button is also shot. Only works some of the time.

I see a member with some horn buttons here. But I don't see any horns for sale.

There are a lot of threads here about horns for deuces, but not much about the Humvee.

I see 24 V jeep horns for about $25-$30 available, and then mill spec horns for $70. Has anyone replaced their horn with a civilian model, and how does it hold up?

Thanks
Bulldogger

86sa

there is an adjustment behind the cover, remove rivets replace with nuts and screws. turn inside screw a little one way or another till horn works. It's worth a try.

Emf27

I'm also very interested in replacing the horn with something a bit more... Impressive. As always, would appreciate any guidance from someone who has done it already.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per 86sa's suggestion I drilled off the rivet heads Sunday and took a look inside. I couldn't find an adjustment screw, and I think I know what those look like. That said, I cleaned up the muddy exterior and dusted off the dirty interior, and then screwed it back together. On my horn body there are (were) twelve rivets, 6 large and 6 small. The large rivets had screw threads inside, two are used for the mounting plate. In considering how to put it back together, I decided to pull the large rivets off the shop floor where they'd fallen after punching out their headless bodies, and use them as alternatives to nuts, since they had threads inside them. I only had to scrounge up four bolts since the two mounting bolts were available.
The horn is working again. The horn button is still boogered up, but I have a new one in the mail.

Thanks for the suggestion to pull it apart.

And yes, it is kind of mousy, being tactical and all. I also wonder if a beefier non-tactical horn is warranted. Since I plan to mostly drive this on-road when I do take it out, I would like something to warn/signal other drivers that I am 3-tons of barely-stoppable momentum when they pull out in front of me, etc.

Now that I have ANY horn, I can relegate this to the "when the rest of the necessary maintenance is done" list. Hubs are next.

Anyway, it's nice to have a fairly functional horn.

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks