• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee road trip reliability

Wire Fox

Yeah I would imagine its pretty tight once you're in the city. That's still badass tho!
I'm really wanting to take mine down Meridian St to downtown Indianapolis once I'm up and running. It's our "historic home" road that connects downtown to the northside of the city, straight down the middle-it has the governor's mansion and everything on it. It was clearly built to be a very nice two lane road, but traffic flow dictated it to become a four lane road that's extremely cramped. I typically drive a compact car and it's a tight fit sometimes. I think I just want to go down it once in the HMMWV to monopolize two lanes of travel just once to say that I did it, grab a nice mexican hot chocolate from South Bend Chocolate on the circle, and then just linger to answer questions and have fun while I'm there.

Governor's Mansion on Meridian (it's a few miles of homes like this on a road that is one of about 4 major routes to head directly north out of downtown):
-inigovsmansion04.jpg20140827.jpg
Monument Circle, at the exact center of the state with the Soldiers and Sailors Monument:
soldiersailers_01.jpg

buda13

bought my 1989 m998 last October in Bessemer AL drove it back to Lancaster SC 540 miles no problems about 12.5 miles to the galleon , with 55-60 mph for 12 hours and plenty of fuel .
did n`t keno the first thing about it ,they said I was crazy to try but home we came ! So yes I would trust it ,,, just have a lot of time on your hands

NormB

The longer I own mine, the farther out I stretch my road trips, the more "amenities" I add to it - better seats, aviation intercomm w/ AVN headsets and cellphone hookup for music/calls - do the safety checks, reliability checks, I'm thinking sometime down the road when it's time to move to my farm in Tennessee, I just might drive the 756 miles there. Not in one 10.5-11 hour fell swoop like I do with my Tacoma every couple months, but a more leisurely road trip with maybe 4-5 hour days. And what the heck, I'm paying insurance for towing if worse comes to worst.

NormB

I also changed the oil in all hubs and the both diff's
I replaced the oil with Lucas 80-90 Heavy Duty.
I can't believe the difference in noise level, everything seems much quieter, I might be a bit crazy, but the gear noise seems to be lower, or it just might be the new oil.
The old oil had about 3K, and was replaced by the people I had bought it from. So I don't now what was in it.
View attachment 686018

One of these days I'll do a formal poll, but in all the decades I've been wrenching on motorcycles, cars, and now this HMMWV, it seems they're ALL quieter and smoother-running right after oil changes, more so when ALL the fluids are changed.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I did make it back, 55-60 for about 250 miles, it is actually a nice ride, everything worked as it should. I just need to adjust to everybody passing me, it seems they were all speeding, but 60 is slow for MI
I will do the round trip (600 miles) for the fall colors, should be fun and a bit cooler.
To be continued...