• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Run Flat tyres removal

Hi All,
Hope everyone is well, I have, hopefully, a simple and quick question for you to answer. I have recently bought a HMMWV M1097a2 on 24 bolt rims with a combination of BF Goodrich Baja T/A and Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 37x12.5x16.5 how can I tell if these are running runflat rims and if they are is it possible to remove the runflat insert?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all had runflats originally, you can tell by taking them apart, I suppose you could weigh them also but I do not know what the weight should be, I would just assume they have runflats.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can remove the runflats but many do not recommend it without installing bead locks, the rims are designed for the runflats which have bead locks as part of the runflat insert.
I have been running one HMMWV without the runflats for a few years now, I just do not air them down as much as the one I have with bead locks.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in the UK there isn't a restriction on age of tyre YET, so they should be fine.
That is not why, it is a safety issue, they can look fine one minuet and then fly to pieces the next, I certainly would not invest the time and effort to remove run flats from old tires, take one apart and put it back together then you will understand.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in the UK there isn't a restriction on age of tyre YET, so they should be fine.
Military tires have a max of 10 years (assuming they were not stored in the sun, bad conditions, etc!). Don't risk your life or someone elses. Always look at the DOT codes and then use that to determine the amount of inspection required, or if it's time to replace them or not.

I had Goodyear MT that were just at 10 years, while they held air fine cracks were starting to appear in the tread and sidewall. Literally went from "fine" to "unsafe to drive" in a 48 hour period. Put new tires on the vehicle, it not only is safer -- but it also drives and handles MUCH better. The old tires had gotten very stiff from age and were not flexing properly.

Just checked my tyres and they are dated BF Goodrich 2017 and Goodyear 2016, so they are good for a few year still. Here in UK there is only a time on tyres for commercial vehicles HGV and Buses not for private vehicles. But I will bear this kn mind. Might have to think about my WW2 vehicles tyres, they may be quite old.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Note to self...........

HMMWV Goodyear Tire Blow-Outs:
HMMWV and Trailer Caution - Inspection Required
Goodyear Wrangler MT-R tires have a serious problem with premature wear causing multiple blow-outs, including two accidents with injuries.
Inspect these tires: 37x12 50R16 5LT load range D tire, NSN 2610-01-541-4090 (used on tire/wheel assembly, NSN 2530-01-558-2138 ), and load range E tires, NSN 2610-01-563-8328 (used on tire/wheel assembly, NSN 2530-01-563-8620).
The Goodyear Wrangler MT and Michelin BF Goodrich Baja T/A tires are not affected.
For the affected tires look for the DOT code on the tire sidewall. The last four digits following "DOT" indicate the week and year of manufacture. For example, 2515 means the tire was produced the twenty-fifth week of 2015.
Any of the affected tires that are older than five years, or that will exceed five years before the next scheduled maintenance, must be reported as NMC. They must be replaced even if they appear to be serviceable.
Affected tires that are less than five years old must be inspected for cracks. Pay special attention to the decorative U-channel ribs in the upper sidwalls on both sides of the tire.
Any cracks longer than 3/32nds of an inch make the tire NMC, they must be replaced.

It's the 4 digits in the oval on one side like 2215. 22 = week, 15 year.

IMG_5890 (1).jpg This example Week 18 of year 2009 see the oval

And new to you HumV tires on old surplus truck........
IMG_5046.JPG Well... the tread looked good for the first 8 miles.

Round on top, Flat on the bottom, CAMO

Last edited:
Note to self...........

HMMWV Goodyear Tire Blow-Outs:
HMMWV and Trailer Caution - Inspection Required
Goodyear Wrangler MT-R tires have a serious problem with premature wear causing multiple blow-outs, including two accidents with injuries.
Inspect these tires: 37x12 50R16 5LT load range D tire, NSN 2610-01-541-4090 (used on tire/wheel assembly, NSN 2530-01-558-2138 ), and load range E tires, NSN 2610-01-563-8328 (used on tire/wheel assembly, NSN 2530-01-563-8620).
The Goodyear Wrangler MT and Michelin BF Goodrich Baja T/A tires are not affected.
For the affected tires look for the DOT code on the tire sidewall. The last four digits following "DOT" indicate the week and year of manufacture. For example, 2515 means the tire was produced the twenty-fifth week of 2015.
Any of the affected tires that are older than five years, or that will exceed five years before the next scheduled maintenance, must be reported as NMC. They must be replaced even if they appear to be serviceable.
Affected tires that are less than five years old must be inspected for cracks. Pay special attention to the decorative U-channel ribs in the upper sidwalls on both sides of the tire.
Any cracks longer than 3/32nds of an inch make the tire NMC, they must be replaced.

It's the 4 digits in the oval on one side like 2215. 22 = week, 15 year.

View attachment 888482 This example Week 18 of year 2009 see the oval

And new to you HumV tires on old surplus truck........
View attachment 888487 Well... the tread looked good for the first 8 miles.

Round on top, Flat on the bottom, CAMO
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks