• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Run Flat tyres removal

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut the runflat through on opposite sided (cut into 2 pieces) with a Sawzall equiped with a blade for cutting wood/branches. Then I just pull out each piece. It's quite messy.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages to removing run flats? I probably won't stick with run flats when my tires wear out, but why go to the trouble to remove them?

Besides the run flat ability, they also increase the stiffness of the sidewall which helps in cornering.

Hammer

FYI, pulling runflats is super easy if you have an engine hoist / cherry picker.
Just set the legs over each side of the tire and run a chain down from the hoist to the runflat. Make sure it is offset inside the tire (typically needed to get the chain around the runflat itself.)
Then just pump the ram until it pops out. VERY quick and easy!
And a LOT easier and SAFER then tying to a tree or whatever else and yanking (I did one this way with my big excavator. It was way too much work, and damaged the tire pulling it out. Plus tends to launch some part of either the tire, runflat or chain/strap your using to pull with. So NOT safe!)

As for running without runflats, sure. But at least put a beadlock back inside. This rims have almost no lip for the tire bead to hold onto and almost fall off the bead at low enough pressures.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages to removing run flats? I probably won't stick with run flats when my tires wear out, but why go to the trouble to remove them?

Besides the run flat ability, they also increase the stiffness of the sidewall which helps in cornering.
only real advantage is the wheel/tire assembly weighs less overall so it's easier to balance. Also a little less work when changing out the tire on the wheel.

Downsides are the tire does have increased risk of coming off the rim when the tire pressure is low. Most people recommend not going below about 20psi to reduce the risk.

A few guys have done comparisons between the HMMWV multi-piece rim and the single piece 16.5" rim. The shoulder profile is basically identical, so as long as you have good pressure there isn't any more risk running without the bead lock/runflat than any other 16.5" rim.
Newer wheels (the ones using whole numbers and not half numbers) have a different shoulder/bead seating profile and are safer for running at lower pressures, but there is always a risk when airing down too far or driving too fast/aggressively for the amount of air pressure.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Here is some interesting info:

Such a lot of good information here. Thanks everyone. As my tyres are all less the 10 years age barrier I will continue to run the wheel tyre combination as they are and then when I get close to the magic number 10 I will look at the options. I love the look of the 24 bolt splits so want to keep those wheels so it might be bead locks or keep the runflats.
I have heard that the trucks do run nicer without the runflats is that the case for those who have removed them?
I currently have no wheel vibration at 30mph and haven't got up to 60mph yet so don't think there is a balance issue.
Thanks again.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That one I must disagree...
Thanks for the reasoned response. Feels like I'm on Reddit.

I used to race (on the amateur level), strictly on pavement. A stiffer sidewall does help with cornering, to avoid tire roll. This is not to say that the additional weight of a run flat didn't also have a detrimental effect to spring rate on that wheel. But, not everyone has deep pockets and if your car came with run flats well, it wasn't all bad.

Humvees of course, run on dirt which I have considerably less experience with. So, the best reason I can come up with to ditch the run flats would be to help the spring rate.

royg

FYI, pulling runflats is super easy if you have an engine hoist / cherry picker.
Just set the legs over each side of the tire and run a chain down from the hoist to the runflat. Make sure it is offset inside the tire (typically needed to get the chain around the runflat itself.)
Then just pump the ram until it pops out. VERY quick and easy!
And a LOT easier and SAFER then tying to a tree or whatever else and yanking (I did one this way with my big excavator. It was way too much work, and damaged the tire pulling it out. Plus tends to launch some part of either the tire, runflat or chain/strap your using to pull with. So NOT safe!)

As for running without runflats, sure. But at least put a beadlock back inside. This rims have almost no lip for the tire bead to hold onto and almost fall off the bead at low enough pressures.

I've used the engine hoist method many times and have found it to be quick/easy/safe. spray a little dish soapy water to help it slide.

here's a youtube (not mine)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was another company making bead locks but I cannot find that information, I just picked up a lot of 24 bolt paired rims and will be looking for bead locks and BFG tires

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is the other guy.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think only in low pressure or extreme side load situations where the bead is able to move on the rim would the sidewall stiffness be noticeably affected, and only next to the bead itself. The rest of the sidewall shouldn't be affected.
If you're running the tires at low enough pressure for it to be a factor, you shouldn't be running 16.5" wheels.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is the other guy.
I bought 4 from this seller, and got them all installed. Took a bunch of work, but no problems and the price was what I was willing to pay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks