• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee scrap

Ryanhooker

OK, so I just got a finger shaken at me. I just did a no no. But I try and do this right this time..........

I wish that I could be near a site in which humvee scrap is being sold. If only I lived there. I seen some somewhere, cant say where. But I wish I lived there id be after them.

But I do have a question. Hypothetically speaking, if you could get these. They are to be cut up by orders. Hypothetically if it was for the DOD could you Pop panels apart and save them. Would that still be hypothetically mutilation?

Ryanhooker

Not to worried over a title. More or less to build a few bodys and sell a few to people that want them. I only want one for my self:roll:. If you just poped them apart would that be mutilation?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMWV bodies are rivited and glued. When you try to pull the panels apart after drilling the zillion rivits, you have to drive a chisel between the parts to separate them. This ruins the panels.
There are a couple guys on ebay who have their hands in the proverbial mutilated scrap cookie jar. Buy from them and you won't have to move.

maybefixit

The Gov't has thought of that. Last time I checked, their definition of Mutilation for wheeled / tracked vehicles was one of two things:

1. Cutting of the major frame rails (and usually the floor of the vehicle 'tub') by torch in an X pattern so that each frame rail is cut twice.

2. Driving a larger treaded vehicle over the surplus vehicle such that the body / frame is rendered unusable. (Run over it with a tank)

There was a Hemtt-style fire truck offered recently, and the requirement was that the frame had to be flame-cut before pickup. The description said that the motor, transmission and pumps could be removed before 'mutilation' work was done. They usually require that it would be cheaper / easier to build a new vehicle than to re-use what they give you.

You could find a H1 that's been in a fire, sandblast the body, and buy a 'mutilation' Humvee for all the parts. Probably easier to find in Southern California.

Ryanhooker

HMMWV bodies are rivited and glued. When you try to pull the panels apart after drilling the zillion rivits, you have to drive a chisel between the parts to separate them. This ruins the panels.
There are a couple guys on ebay who have their hands in the proverbial mutilated scrap cookie jar. Buy from them and you won't have to move.

:mrgreen: Haha. Yeah i know, but they want the proverbial arm and leg. As i cant show the photos due to fact above. but I can say they are almost complete bodys. Looks like 3 slant backs 2 soft tops. Main roof missing on slant backs. I would love to save these great pieces of history.

Ryanhooker

You could find a H1 that's been in a fire, sandblast the body, and buy a 'mutilation' Humvee for all the parts. Probably easier to find in Southern California.
I am on east coast, But i am always looking for one. An are you saing use the hummer chassis and fix body with humvee parts?