• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee security mods - inexpensive but effective

Outfitters

Hello all -
My 1986 Humvee project is running great after a bunch of work that it needed when I got it...and thank you for the input and answers I found on this site as well as the specific replies to my questions.
Here are some cheap options to secure your Humvee when parked...

I installed a Pollak 51-916 battery disconnect switch ($25 on ebaaa) by using the existing hole by the front passenger left leg and the existing slave cable power supply cables. I installed this on the negative and the install is nice and neat and the existing slave cable lengths were perfect. Having a keyed battery disconnect helps for security and when performing maintenance. This disconnect is rated at 185 amps continuous and 1000 surge.

I installed a Kryptonite KryptoFlex 1518 bike lock cable between the air lift hoops on the hood to prevent unauthorized hood opening...6 feet long 15mm thick with key...fits perfect and the velcro straps that are attached to the cable help keep it tight and look like it's made for it.

I have a 6 foot bike lock cable with a keyed padlock around the parking brake lever to secure the parking brake lever when it is engaged...I wrapped the cable around the body brace that is behind the drivers seat...the padlock is attached directly below the lever trigger which prevents it from sliding off...ths will make sure my Humvee doesn't roll away and crash into something when parked on an incline if someone decides to disengage the brake when walking by....

Next I plan on adding some locking hasps to the under seat storage and battery access panels....I will post some photos of that when it's done.

I've learned over the years that locks help keep people honest...

None of these security mods will stop someone really motivated to move or drive the Humvee, but they will certainly keep the local idiot or teenagers from causing harm to themselves or others.

Attachments

Outfitters

I typically do not use the steering wheel lock...keeping my Humvee where I parked it is my primary goal. I have the soft doors off most of the time so it's wide open when i park it. Making sure no one starts it is a close second. And I just liked the hood lock idea.

BLK HMMWV

OK.
The steering wheel lock is by far the easiest first thing to use and it's original equipment.
Next would be a keyed ignition , followed closely by a battery disconnect switch .
You must live in a area with a bunch of pranksters.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the steering wheel lock and keyed ignition and have never had an issue. If anything people seem to just look at it from afar and for whatever reason keep their distances from it.

ari

What if you put in a alarm system but with a pressure switch inside the drivers seat and hook it into parking brake light switch. If someone sits in it or tries to move it it will go off use a key fob to activate deactivate it.

Action

I use the steering wheel lock and keyed ignition and have never had an issue. If anything people seem to just look at it from afar and for whatever reason keep their distances from it.
I came out to parking lot and found the hood up and the start switch in RUN. I had a hidden cutoff switch so nothing worked.
I hve lockable x-doors on the current humvee.

par0thead151

this thread interests me greatly. i have Xdoors with locks, but the rear hatch is a doosey to secure without making it look bubbaed
im going to be installing a paging alarm system soon, so anyone inside the vehicle will sound an alarm and page an angry owner who is always armed...
can the top hatch on the slant backs be secured too?
keeping nosy people out is the best plan of attack. also secures anything inside short of forced entry

BLK HMMWV

I never leave mine unattended .
That said if your installing and alarm that's going to page you just put contacts on the turret hatch and rear hatch.
Keyed ignition, battery disconnect (separate battery for alarm)
Put small GPS tracker in it and relax.

Action

the turret cannot be opened from the outside.
Put a black cable bike lock through the rear hatch handle and around the hitch. put a tire carrier on and you wont see it.

Jakob1944

In The Texas Outback one would have a Blue Heeler in the vehicle......He would own it, you would be just the driver.....No one could come with-in 15 feet of that machine.....

Back when I was hauling dirt my kid and my heeler would fight for the window seat........

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks