• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HUMVEE Speedometer - Removing Old Decals

F.A. Duk

Wondering the best way to remove old surface mounted decals on the outside of the speedometer. ( noting trailering and MAX speed). Mine is cracked and flaking but don’t want to scratch or oxidize plastic when replacing.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wondering the best way to remove old surface mounted decals on the outside of the speedometer. ( noting trailering and MAX speed). Mine is cracked and flaking but don’t want to scratch or oxidize plastic when replacing.
A heat gun will soften the glue and make it easier to remove decals. Even paper stickers will work that way affixed to something with "stupid stickers". Sticker glue comes in different "flavors". Removable that should easily peel off and Permanent. That "removable" is that way for a few weeks to a month, then over time that glue firms up and becomes almost as strong as a permanent glue.

BE CAREFUL. Doesn't take long to get the sticker hot and soft. Then with a little more heat, the glass or metal it is affixed to gets hot. Nest thing you know there are burns on the ends of your fingers. Hair dryer might work but a heat gun is better and a lot faster too. You mentioned plastic. Don't melt it with the heat source...

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sat in the parking lot waiting for my GF to come out from work and picked mine off with just a fingernail.

It's gone as if it never existed.
I’m worried that my nails might go thru the plastic and take the needle off. I don’t know why you would put a plastic lens in a gauge that’s open to the elements. Is this what you used 98G? Hahaha 1C7D833A-48FE-4328-8841-58EB7B385F5D.png

F.A. Duk

I’m worried that my nails might go thru the plastic and take the needle off. I don’t know why you would put a plastic lens in a gauge that’s open to the elements. Is this what you used 98G? View attachment 841361
I’m just assuming it’s plastic … an original M1046a dash and gauges. You make a good point and it perhaps is glass but alas even a bulletproof windshield is plastic and subject to scratches

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m just assuming it’s plastic … an original M1046a dash and gauges. You make a good point and it perhaps is glass but alas even a bulletproof windshield is plastic and subject to scratches
I bought a new fuel gauge because I could see mine wasn’t working from the picture and it has all the same markings as the one that’s in it. I wanted to see if I could paint the bezel satin black while I wait for my euc. It had a few scuffs on the lens that I was able to polish out but when I taped it off with 3m tape the kind for delicate surfaces the paint caused some glue to transfer and I’m struggling to get it off. I thought about speedhut gauges but I don’t know if they are plastic lens and I don’t think I care for connectors. I like how the gauge looks satin black

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can carefully bend out the crimped rear edge of the bezel and pull it off to remove the lens. Find the correct size glass lens and replace if you want to.
I like that idea. Be nice to get the glass and a new bezel to re install. I would imagine the glass is a common gauge size but the bezel might be harder to find

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A fingernail really is sufficient, with almost zero chance of damage.
WD-40 will remove the white goo from duct tape. Hard part is that it would want to run off an installed gauge. If you removed it WD should remove the sticker too and not attack the plastic.

Reactions: OBX

springer1981

The lens on my speedo is glass. Lighter fluid is great for dissolving adhesive. That said, a new speedo is only $70 plus shipping.

EDIT: I checked today and my lens is not glass it is plastic.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not looking that hard.............

I see two of them on the E-pay place 60 clams and a little shipping. USA made. Watch out for junk repo units for all gauges and parts. If gauge does NOT have an AMERICAN name on the face plate... your on your own. NO name, NO good. HumV may reject it. LOL

ONLY good for those 60 MPH HumV's, CAMO

Action

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks