• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee steering wheel stuck

erasedhammer

i was going to replace my steering wheel and took off the horn and the nut while pulling upward I hit the center with a hammer. Didn't budge. I stuck wd40 down the threads of the center and waited a little, tried the same thing again. Didn't budge. By this point I'm frustrated so I try sawing the **** thing off. It's in pieces but the center still won't come off. I have NO idea what the military did to fuse the wheel to the steering column.

orgnal

i was going to replace my steering wheel and took off the horn and the nut while pulling upward I hit the center with a hammer. Didn't budge. I stuck wd40 down the threads of the center and waited a little, tried the same thing again. Didn't budge. By this point I'm frustrated so I try sawing the **** thing off. It's in pieces but the center still won't come off. I have NO idea what the military did to fuse the wheel to the steering column.
There is a tool for it. Search the internet for steering wheel removal tool. Autozone and such will loan it to you. The right tools make some of these jobs a lot easier.

McReddy

Stein12501

Hate to say it but I don't think any of the steering wheel pullers will work at least they didn't for me. I made one from the threaded puller bolt, a piece of flat steel and 2 - 1/4" x 4" NF bolts. There are 2 threaded holes on the wheel. Soaked the steering shaft with PB and it came right off. I tried a 3 jaw puller on the steering wheel with no luck. Good Luck!!

orgnal

Hate to say it but I don't think any of the steering wheel pullers will work at least they didn't for me. I made one from the threaded puller bolt, a piece of flat steel and 2 - 1/4" x 4" NF bolts. There are 2 threaded holes on the wheel. Soaked the steering shaft with PB and it came right off. I tried a 3 jaw puller on the steering wheel with no luck. Good Luck!!
I used one and I was done in 15 minutes.

McReddy

erasedhammer

Do you know of anywhere I can get a replacement for the shaft that connects direct to the steering wheel. When I took the nut off, it practically came off without my help, and the treads were stripped. It looks like I'll need a replacement but all I can find is full steering column replacements

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have good columns available with or without a wheel.
i made my own puller....auto store units are to wide.

papakb

Soak the shaft with KROIL. It's the best stuff I've ever found for rusted, nasty hardware and when you put the center bolt of the puller into the steering shaft be careful not to flare the shaft end of the shaft or your only option will be to replace the whole steering column. Luckily in the HMMWV that's a piece of cake to do because of the way AMG mounted it and they're pretty inexpensive when it comes to HMMWV parts. They have a habit of pulling out when people use them to help getting in and out of the vehicle. It's only held in with a bolt through a sheet metal bracket and that tears away pretty easily. There's a modification work order (MWO) that adds a supplemental bracket to the steering shaft but you don't see that many of them in the field.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks