• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee viscus fan conversion

Hummermark

What company was selling the fan and viscus unit as a conversion For the humvee instead of the stock hyd
set up
has anyone converted if so are you happy with it?

87m998

I got my parts from Hummer parts guy. pn's 6013102 clutch and 6017546 fan. Its not a conversion kit, its what I figured out would work and it does. I did this when I got rid of the v belt set up and went serpentine. The noise is less and it keeps the temp down.

MattNC

An ignorant question but how does it work compared to the stock M998 controller that just engages the fan on and off at a single temperature setpoint?

87m998

Here's a description
A fan clutch is a thermostatic engine cooling fan that can freewheel at low temperatures when cooling is not needed, allowing the engine to warm up faster, relieving unnecessary load on the engine. As temperatures increase, the clutch engages so that the fan is driven by engine power and moves air to cool the engine.

MattNC

Thanks. My question was how does the viscous clutch differ from the hydraulic one that comes stock in a M998? Does it no longer need the power steering pump and Cadillac valve? Does it engage progressively?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. My question was how does the viscous clutch differ from the hydraulic one that comes stock in a M998? Does it no longer need the power steering pump and Cadillac valve? Does it engage progressively?
Correct, the viscous clutch works based on temp of the clutch unit itself. When it gets hot, it activates, when it cools down it free wheels. So no hydraulic pump/fluid/valve involved. This is the same approach used on a LOT of 1980's/1990's cars (before electronic fans).

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much air does the fan move? As I recall the stock fan moves over 2000 CFM.

Mark

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume it's a similar amount. Like the hydraulic clutch it just bind the fan 1:1 with the engine. So if the engine is spinning 2000 rpms, the fan is going 2000 RPMs. If the blade (or number of blades) is different that would affect overall airflow, but I would have to assume the Hummer H1 has a similar CFM for the cooling system.

Pegleg

I got my parts from Hummer parts guy. pn's 6013102 clutch and 6017546 fan. Its not a conversion kit, its what I figured out would work and it does. I did this when I got rid of the v belt set up and went serpentine. The noise is less and it keeps the temp down.
Did that set up bolt right to the water pump pulley?

Hummermark

hi, I did eventually find the person advertising the viscous conversions (Mike Murdoch) for the Humvee. I purchased one - I don’t know if I had a bad viscous unit from him or not but mine stays on all of the time and does not cycle. It is as noisy as the fixed fan that I removed (Saudi/NY Humvees), so there is no advantage in having a viscous. As someone previously said, anyone other vehicle I have had or worked on including tractor trucks, when fitted with a viscous they come in and out with the temperature.
Has anyone else purchased a viscous fan for a Humvee from Mike Murdoch? If so, what is your experience with the fan, does it cut in and out or is it permanently on?

Pegleg

The clutch bolts to the water pump and the fan to the clutch as normal. The clutch operates as normal. If you look up the pn's I listed you can see.
Thank you it looked like it would but I thought I would ask to make sure
Do know the diameter of the fan the that I have found info say that the fan is 23 in diameter and my old fan is only 19.5 in diameter so do you have pic of it installed my Humvee is M1079A2 thank you

Pegleg

The clutch bolts to the water pump and the fan to the clutch as normal. The clutch operates as normal. If you look up the pn's I listed you can see.
Do know the diameter of the fan the that I have found info say that the fan is 23 in diameter and my old fan is only 19.5 in diameter so do you have pic of it installed my Humvee is M1079A2 thank you

87m998

My V belt fan is 19.5 and the serptine belt fan I have sitting around is 19.5. I didn't open up my engine to check, but it fits the fan shroud just fine. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. Call the vendors and ask? I listed the part #'s and a vendor.

87m998

I got a measurement of @ 18.5" on the installed fan blade and @3/4" clearance on the fan shroud. The parts I used are AM general plarts and work just fine on my serptine belt set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks