• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

humvee ???

jay741

hi i was wondering how you guys can get humvees i always though you could not get them.????? i read somewhere they were destroyed after the army used them seemd like such a shame.

Bobert

I think the Marines sold a bunch in the 90s before AMGeneral got a deal where the government sells them all back to them to be refurbished or something. Not sure where all the others came from.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
From what I have learned...the Marines let about 600 escape years ago..then the leak was plugged. Apparantly...there is a list of those serial numbers.
If you find one for sale try to make darn sure it has a legal trail or the Federal Marshalls will pay you a visit!
Happened to a friend of mine...he was restoring 2 of them for a rich guy. The Feds showed up and ask for papers. He had to call the owner..the owner had to leave his practice and bring the papers...all was good.
There are legal ones out there...just make sure it has good paper before ya leap.

michael.b.portell

Yea, a couple SGM I work with bought them two years ago before they went to the scrap yards. So you can get them you just have to know the right people. Or buy the overpriced ones on the internet.

Lawrence of Arabia

HMMVEES Where Are They?

I found a company called CSI that sold refurbished HUMVEEs to Blackwater. They informed me that they use to buy 200 or 300 at a time from the government to refurbish and sell, but in recent years the government has scrapped out the bad ones and refurbished and put back into serivce, the good ones. When I found this company I was sure I found a way to get one, but no such luck. look them up on the Web. They do all kinds of stuff.

jwaller

AM General will not let our govt sell any hmmwv's to private citizens here in the USA. they sell them to companies who restore them and sell them to foreign govt's.

you can buy one of the 600 that were surplused out by mistake but that is it.

you can buy them overseas where our gov will sell them but they cannot be legally imported back to the USA. can it be done sure but not legally by a private citizen.

I own one from the Atlanta sale and I'm not letting it go again.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CSI is getting low on HMMWV's. They only have about 2 dozen and they are supposed to be going to S America. The average person can't afford one from them. You are looking at 18K+ just for a chassis and body. You'd have way more invested than if you bought one complete.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Build one up from parts, that's one way to do it. Really hard to find engines hoods and wheels. :twisted:

GoldComet6

From AM General's website, I added the bold text to highlight a few things.

How many Humvees have been built since first introduced?
About 240,000 have been sold around the world since their introduction in 1985.

Can the public purchase military Humvees?
No. The Humvee was designed for a military mission and was not designed to meet civilian safety standards. AM General does not endorse nor support the sale of these military vehicles to the general public or private entities. AM General further opposes any use of these military vehicles by individuals or entities outside of the military context for which the vehicles are designed. AM General does not sell the military vehicle or service parts for the military vehicle to the general public.

Can the public purchase parts for Humvees or other military vehicles manufactured by AM General?
No, these parts, as well as service information, are available only to military customers. Occasionally these vehicles wind up in civilian hands. However, AM General does not support these vehicles when they are in civilian ownership.

Where can I find support for old jeeps, postal vehicles and other old military vehicles?
AM General supports only the High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV), also known as the Humvee®, and other selected military truck models manufactured by AM General in the possession of the U.S. Government or other authorized customer countries.

Specifically, AM General does not support the following:
  • any Jeep® models
  • any model of old postal vehicles (e.g. the DJ-5)
  • Humvees that are no longer in U.S. government inventory
  • any other military trucks manufactured by AM General not in the possession of, being refurbished by, or otherwise used by the U.S. Government or other authorized customer countries
  • any other military trucks not being used for their original intended purpose.
The link:
FAQ's | Corporate Information | AM General LLC - Mobility solutions for the 21st Century

dohabandit

I don't believe the 1500-2000 statistic for "leaked" HMMWV's in civilian hands.

The USMC deal was on a bridge project with United Defense. United Defense then auctioned these off in CA and GA. From my understanding, they were sold in lots that included several "vehicles" in various states of repair along with pallets of parts like engines, tranny, diff, xfer cases, troop racks, etc etc. In total there were around 600 vehicles sold and some of those were just rolling FRAMES with no bodies.

They were supposed to be exported, but some loophole allowed these ones to sell to the US public. My M998 (now a M1025A2) was from the Albany auction. Special thanks to Len Eaves for taking care of her before I brought her home.

As others stated, you want to make sure your truck came off on a SF97. Mine is titled and registered for on-road use in FL. No SF97 = Jail.

dohabandit

Oh yeah, and I just swapped out my dead 6.2L engine. I had a blown head gasket and enough internal damage to warrant replacement.

I found another 6.2L that came out of a military power "refresh". I paid Ted Hils Trucks 'n Stuff $750 for it, and rolled the dice. Was "fun" pulling out the old engine and dropping in the replacement. I just drove it home about 20 miles and looks good!

Special thanks to Jose Pastrana for his endless advice! (and to my brother for letting me use his shop and for all his help in the project)