• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvees Scraps

datadawg

Don't get this thread locked. These parts are NOT for reuse. It's in the demil specifications.
I think the gist of the feedback relates to what a monstrous waste of taxpayer money this is, and just because it's in some demil specification, it doesn't make the policy smart. I am pretty miffed, both as a taxpayer and collector, that our government pays a dollar for something and then sells the item for a penny for scrap, when it could have recovered more money and delivered more value to users, by selling the stuff for reuse.

I would really like to know whether the demil specs are written by DOD or the vendor (GL or whatever). I surely wonder if there is some kind of scheme at play, where the bidder has an inside track on the scrap and the sale is chilled because of this moronic policy. As in, you have to destroy humvees, so bid 10% of their auction value... oh and whoever thinks the rules apply to everyone, so all bidders benefit from cheaper bidding, I think not. A few years ago, my firm was going to finance a scrapping company bidding on similar GL stuff, and they didn't even look at the bid -- after we provided proof of funds.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
That makes me mad!!!!!!...........just sell them....parts or whole. Do they remember who payed for them? You, me, mother, father, grandma, grandpa. ...............
Machines are just the tools. We keep a few machines functioning to remind us all of those who really paid for the machines. Many never got to go home and many went home maimed.
War is a racket.
And anyhow, scrapping of the equipment has been going on for a couple of whiles now.
Swords to plowshares + spears to pruning hooks comes to mind, from a book......Isaiah 2:3–4

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad situation, I'd love to buy Armor. A local shop is run by an ex vet I do all my business with on my regular vehicles that I can't or don't want to fix. He was in when they had jeeps. He said in Camp Ripley they had a bunch, most were brand new, little or no miles. He watched them run a tank over them. That's just wrong. Last time I was up there, there were about 6 Bradleys getting ready to be scrapped. The time before numerous HMMWV's.

BnaditCorps

Well I think I see the issue here.

They don't want to sell them, and contrary to popular belief, it DOES lose more money to scrap something. If you auction it, well you just might stand a chance at a larger return.

This is not about us wanting the vehicles, no. It is about us, the knowledgeable ones in this field, knowing that this is not right. We know how much they cost, how much the taxpayers payed, how much they could sell them for, how much they get on a scarp return. We are not being selfish, we are being investigators. If we expose how much money is being lost by scrapping items then we stand a chance of getting more and more people on our side.

That is how we will get this victory, by gaining support, with support you win things, without it, we have nothing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks